Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
The new CURPA Leon Design Edition adds three extra styling elements to the already loaded standard VZ3 spec. Will the UK get the spec it deserved when it launched back in 2021, or has it been left behind once more? Is it too little too late before the facelift launches this year?

What is it?

The now familiar MK4 CUPRA Leon (if you’re new to it, pretend you are for the sake of this paragraph; I’ll explain more below) is now available to order in the UK in this new “Design Edition.” This edition features some enhanced aesthetics, including a panoramic sunroof, black side skirts, and a black roof spoiler, parts that we believed should have been standard in the UK when the car first launched.

Verdict
After finally getting rid of the old VZ3 aero wheels, this new Design Edition finally looks the part, just like it should have been back when we tested the non-UK...

Continue reading...

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Overall, is it better than a Leon Cupra 5f though? Is it worth the extra £35k? (Cheapest Leon Cupra 5f on Auto Trader at the moment is £9k)

Reactions: Syphon

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I get what you're saying but comparing new cars to second hand ones will always be a bit of an unfair comparison. The new RRP compared to both probably not worth the hike though. Having had a 280SC and 300 5-door MK3 and driven these new ones the price difference isn't worth it but then the cost of everything has gone up since the MK3 launched. I am however looking into a MK4 once the facelifts come as they are supposed to be quite different not just in appearance. All depends if I could manage to fund the huge extra outlay!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Overall, is it better than a Leon Cupra 5f though? Is it worth the extra £35k? (Cheapest Leon Cupra 5f on Auto Trader at the moment is £9k)
Sorry for the delayed response, if I remember correctly my 2020 SEAT Leon MK3 Cupra 300 ST was around £35k new but in terms of technical spec is was probably a VZ1 in the current CUPRA range (assumption haha), with everything going up in price these days I doubt there's a massive amount in it, on the CUPRA website you can get the 310PS (+10PS on my MK3) CUPRA Leon Estate on the VZ2 spec which comes in at £45k, I didn't add anything to my MK3 so in terms of extras on the standard spec CUPRA VZ2 you get a bigger infotainment system, full leather seats, wireless phone charger, wrap around lighting, heated steering wheel, rear view camera, park assist, new steering wheel setup, KESSY, Traffic sign recognition, high beam assist, all of these just on the interior, on top of the newer wheels, rear spoiler and panoramic sunroof in the Design edition that my 2020 MK3 Leon FL Cupra didn't have. I guess you're paying for a badge/brand.

I wonder if the MK3 was still running under the SEAT brand along side CUPRA if the prices would be closer together, now, would I take my MK3 ST 300 back? 100%, I loved that car, would I trade it in for a new CUPRA Leon Estate, I'm on the fence, there seems to be pro's and con's to both. Working in IT I like new shiny things.

Reactions: H Rafiq

Railwayman

Jun 13, 2022
Lancashire
I get what you're saying but comparing new cars to second hand ones will always be a bit of an unfair comparison. The new RRP compared to both probably not worth the hike though. Having had a 280SC and 300 5-door MK3 and driven these new ones the price difference isn't worth it but then the cost of everything has gone up since the MK3 launched. I am however looking into a MK4 once the facelifts come as they are supposed to be quite different not just in appearance. All depends if I could manage to fund the huge extra outlay!
A good review, thank you. The additions look good and would definitely tempt me if I was buying another one. I’ve only had my current 245 2.0 mk 4 for 6 months though and will probably keep it due to retirement in a few years. Going into retirement with a finance package of any kind on a car probably isn’t a great idea! I think the buttons on the steering wheel and the sill blades are options I’d consider fitting retrospectively, otherwise I think the £36,000 I paid for the VZ2 last October was a bargain! My grown up daughter (petrol head) can inherit it when they take my licence off me in 20 years time. Hopefully it’ll be a mint condition classic and petrol will still be available!