1.2 TSI Turbo Actuator failure

SaracenUK

Aug 28, 2010
So sons 2012 1.2 TS has decided to throw an EPC light and go into limp mode. OBD reader came back with P334A, Turbo Actuator issue. Cleared the code and restarted the engine and the code came back immediately. Took the black plastic cover off to grease the internal slider as per a forum post here but also noticed how worn it was on the end. Anyway, made no difference.
Partslnk shows I need 03F-198-725-C, replacing the original Mahle 03F-145-725-G unit to fit Turbo 03F 145 701. Phoned local Seat for a price and nearly fell over, £297.46inc VAT !
Anyone tried the sub £100 units off Ebay ?
Lots advertised with 116mm rod length but concerned adaptations may be required after assuming its all good. Really want plug and play, no adaptaion required

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
UK
Sorry for late response, just seen the post, had exactly the same on my ibiza 1.2 been greasing the slider for months, then sprayed some WD inside and it finally broke it.... I had the same dilemma and most of the eBay ones seem to have different rod lengths....and need adaptation.

In the end bit the bullet and replaced with the dealer one, also got a bit off as found a genuine one a bit cheaper and they matched from the web.
Did the straight swap myself and not missed a beat since, a few of the bolts on the heat shield a pain but doable for a handy person. they even give a few clips for attaching the actuator rod as they pop off and disappear.

Hope helps but assume you may have resolved already.

SaracenUK

Aug 28, 2010
I managed to get a genuine VAG one for £189 delivered, fitted myself and no adapation required. Now runs perfect.
The biggest problem I had was getting the old one out. It had seized in the housing. No amount of WD40 or blow torch helped.
In the end I ground through the rod, undid the retaining bolts and then attacked it with hammer and chisel.
And of course, the Torx bolt on the top front of the heat shield rounded as well !
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335274083388.

Reactions: Eskilation

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
UK
Excellent mine was about the same a shade over £200, I just didnt fancy trying to get the rod length correct on the variable ones so went genuine.

Yeah I dropped a torx bolt in the engine bay and had to fish it out was between the pulleys so glad found it not easy but doable with patience...and a lot of dealers try to replace the whole turbo and actuator resulting in £1000's

Glad you all sorted now, even with a few troublesome bolts, cracking little engine.....

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.