03 Leon TDI- buying privately (technical question)

hora

Hello, I've previously owned a Altea TDI (bought privately) and I want to return to the fold.

I've found a Leon SE TDI/2003 (91kmiles) advertised privately locally and I was roaming through google looking for buying tips etc..

I came across the words ECU failure and worse- sticking Vanes?

:confused:

In a private sale- How do I avoid buying a car with these faults? The car is clean, well priced, full history- just alittle worried why it is also keenly priced.

hora

Will double-check and comeback asap. Are there any symptoms of ECU problems? Thank you for taking the time to reply

hora

A good idea would be to take it to the Seat garage and pay them to plug in and give the car an inspection (garage is local and the owner has used them for all his previous services.

hora

An hour say £60 with a once-over and the promise to use them for servicing?

I remember back sometimes my Altea TDI used to make a swirling noise (slight loss of power). Never a real prob but it could have been a faulty turbo. If its £60 then and it comes back ok- then its a good peace of mind?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Ecu failure??? - never head of that on any seat.

Sticking vanes is a common problem but as stated above it can be prevented via exercise or cured with turbo re-build or at worst a new turbo.

Take it for a long run up a motorway - if the power cuts or drops off then these are signs of the fault so see if he'll drop the price to compensate for it.

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
I think I was wrong and the 110 does have a VNT turbo (GT1749V from what I can find with some random Googling) so sticky vanes could be a problem. Plenty of people have had it on here though and cleared it up no problems, so I don't think sticky vanes would put me off the car, it doesn't necessarily indicate lack of care as it's mostly down to driving style (lots of small trips without a good blast every now and again can cause them to stick).

Does indeed, 90 s is the only one that doesn't

hora

I think I was wrong and the 110 does have a VNT turbo (GT1749V from what I can find with some random Googling) so sticky vanes could be a problem. Plenty of people have had it on here though and cleared it up no problems, so I don't think sticky vanes would put me off the car, it doesn't necessarily indicate lack of care as it's mostly down to driving style (lots of small trips without a good blast every now and again can cause them to stick).

Seller works in St Helens so its a circa 50mile round trip daily on the M62. So should be ok on that front.

Im beginning to wonder whether my Altea TDI had this problem now. It was a one previous owner with ultra low mileage (she worked from home) and the power did dip (swirl noise) when climbing under load at times.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members