A Survey for 1.4 TSI Owners

What Issues have you had repaired with your 1.4TSI

• No Issues

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • Had Misfires

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Had Piston Rings/Other parts Replaced.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Complete new engine!

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Other (please write in thread)

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
Going through some issues at the moment and been told the oil consumption problems are rare, few and far between.

Just wanted to see what people on this forum have experianced.

The poll is anonymous if you know someone who has left the forum but owned one of these engines with or without issues could you ask they complete this too.

Last edited:

Silent Shark

Apr 3, 2010
59 plate, 15-16k, no engine issues at all (all problems have been battery related, and haven't occured since software update).

AndreJ

03/2010 plate 20k km piston rings replaced and misfires on cold start.

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
59plate FR
nothing really engine related but:
at around 2000 miles aircon stopped working.
at around 14000 nearside droplink worn
at around 18000 rattle on idle.... turns out it was the fuel pipes loose.
all fixed under warrenty.

only other issues have been as a result of the accedent.

all fixed under warrenty.

Last edited:

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
1 misfire but got an engine update and plugs, nothing since. As for oil consumption used a few litres in 20 k but it has slowed right down now, cant really remember the last top up I did. :)

figolovechild

Leon FR CR 170TDI
Sep 12, 2011
Glenrothes
1 misfire and 1 engine replaced under warranty. One month ago, second misfire, which I paid myself...problems with ratles also.

Do you mean rattles with interior or engine? Everything seems to rattle inside mine.....Doors, boot, seats, glove box, steering wheel, and rattles from speedo. Doing my head in big style.

Had my piston rings replaced due to high oil consumption. Looks like it was a problem from day one.

Falling out of love with my car. I worry each time Im sat at a roundabout for when I try to pull out, hit the accelerator and nothing happens for a couple of seconds! Sometimes I feel like the DSG doesn't know what to do.

Apart from that the car is great! lol

Aug 3, 2011
Bought the car from dealer with 941miles on it(11plate). Had misfire @ just over 1000miles- dealer sorted straight away with new plugs/Coilpack/injectors/HT Leads. Been Fine ever since(touch wood)

Friends FR (10 plate with circa 20k on it) has had nothing but trouble. Had 3/4 misfires. Dealer would fix even though we showed them the fault code logs. Then his Crankshaft and turbo went, Got all that replaced(circa 3k I think he said-seat paid obvs) about a month afterwards, he hadnt been checking his dipstick and when I eventually made him check it was bone dry, We went and bought 2L of oil and that just put it on the dipstick, he drove it rather hard though and im guessing running with no oil the damage had already been done, Sparks, Lots of white smoke, explosion, oil comming out the bottom and the top of the engine. Diagnosis... Disentergrated Pistons and god knows what other damage. Replacement engine.

Jay

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
24/08/2010 - Bought brand new with 0kms.

1- Piston Rings changed in January 2012
2- Battery always going flat. Got the software updated but didn't solve the issue, 1 week later and no battery again (I didn't take the car back to the dealer yet, so I might get a new battery as soon as I give them a call)

So far so good.

WRC555

Feb 18, 2005
Slovenia
www.seat.gostovanje.ws
Do you mean rattles with interior or engine? Everything seems to rattle inside mine.....Doors, boot, seats, glove box, steering wheel, and rattles from speedo. Doing my head in big style.

Had my piston rings replaced due to high oil consumption. Looks like it was a problem from day one.

Falling out of love with my car. I worry each time Im sat at a roundabout for when I try to pull out, hit the accelerator and nothing happens for a couple of seconds! Sometimes I feel like the DSG doesn't know what to do.

Apart from that the car is great! lol

Interior ratles, at co-driver's mirror, only when I accelerate...forgot to mention..a problem with the battery, it went flat after 2-3 days :)

Because of all these problems, I don't drive so slow and carefully like before...it's no piont :D

WelshConan

Jan 18, 2012
South Wales Valleys
03/2010 just under 14k on the clock and no issues to date. Although not 100% confident when driving, just waiting for a misfire to happen and it will as soon as my warranty runs out!

Sep 2, 2010
Leeds
12500 miles, No missfires, bad oil comsumption though. Going into the dealers soon about it.

EDIT: Had small misfires on cold start aswell, but sorted itself out.

Last edited:

yea_good_1

LOVIN THE BOC
Sep 24, 2010
I had loads of missfires before revo updated software then I ended up with petrol in my oil it absolutely stunk. So I took all my stage 2 running gear and got rid of it the following weekend as I had no warranty lol figured out it was going to be a bottomless pit of money :)

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
That is a fair percentage of faults. It would have been good to know if these faults were on 2010 or 2011 cars too.

I've been lucky to have no issues even with they Loba Hybrid turbo on and I'm sure the WMI helps keep things cool too.[B)]

Fredthered

Nov 3, 2009
North West
No problems (touch wood) 22000 miles owned from new. uses about 1lr of oil every 800 miles tho dealer says this is within normal levels :shrug:

BocaJunior

I've had the car in under warranty 6 times due to mis-fires. each time had new spark plugs and software update. On the 6th time, i had injectors changed. All is fine so far, except recently it has been a bit hesitant starting up...

Mine was registered 03/2010

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members