Steering torque sensor KO

Antarctic

Mar 3, 2010
Hello guys,
i'm in trouble because after an accident my car were carried on a tow truck and i remember that the powersteering was functional.
After the repair the powersteering is no more functional and VCDS gives this error:
Code:
        Address 44: Steering Assist
Control Module Part Number: 1K1 909 144 J
  Component and/or Version: EPS_ZFLS Kl.5   D04 1606
           Software Coding: 
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
2 Faults Found 

00573 - Steering Torque Sensor (G269) 
        008 - Implausible Signal
00573 - Steering Torque Sensor (G269) 
        008 - Implausible Signal

Is possible that the G269 sensor was damaged and stopped working after all the repairs? :blink:

The indipendent mechanic say that he haven't touched the steering rack.

Btw now i got this problem, and the only way to resolve seems to be to change the whole steering rack, at the cost of 1200€ + work. :cry:

Any suggestions? that's the only fault VCDS report, terminal 15 ok, tension on G269=5v, sensor G85 work fine...

mchlgilmart

Had the same issue with an 07 toledo 2.0tdi. I suspected one of the magnets in the torque sensor is chipped and the chip has adhered to one of the opposite poles. removed the cable plug on the G269 sensor and blew out with compressed air. no fault since, also closed the pin contacts tight on the plug going onto the j500 unit as my fault was sporadic. Its worth a try.

Antarctic

Mar 3, 2010
Hello mchlgilmart, thank you for your reply.. my problem is not sporadic but yes, it's worth a try..
I have no idea on how to access the g269 sensor, i think i need to go to my mechanic because i think the car should be elevated to work under it... is'n it?

mchlgilmart

Hi Antartic, Just to prep you for the dreaded Mechanic visit:), It only took 45 min to get the rack out but yes it needs to be up on a lift, when the rack is out you can access the sensor by memoving the 2 torx screws on top of the housing, there is a white plastic ring which is held in place by the wire plug (you'll know it when you see it), this holds the sensor around the magnets if this has been dislodged and is floating it could be the problem. Best of luck.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I now have the same problem on mine after a top mount was fitted (garage trying to deniy it was them) if I have it removed by a friend to try and fix it do you need to disconnect the battery and is there a removal procedure that you need to follow? Thanks for any help.

Hello by the way and I own a 2006 2.0t FSI Seat Leon

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Just to add it's just the amber light staying on and it drives as normal , test showed (Torque applied at rest as fault)

Thanks.

Antarctic

Mar 3, 2010
Hi there,
just to give an end to my story, i have replaced the whole steering rack:

€ 350 for a steering rack of an Audi A3, from a demolisher
€ 150 for my indipendent mechanic

Tara the yellow icon indicate a minor problem, maybe you need only to do a basic settings and angle sensor setup. You should do a check with vagcom to understand the real problem.
Leave the car without battery for 1 hour may help, the angle sensor will be autoadjusted after few km.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Hi there,
just to give an end to my story, i have replaced the whole steering rack:

€ 350 for a steering rack of an Audi A3, from a demolisher
€ 150 for my indipendent mechanic

Tara the yellow icon indicate a minor problem, maybe you need only to do a basic settings and angle sensor setup. You should do a check with vagcom to understand the real problem.
Leave the car without battery for 1 hour may help, the angle sensor will be autoadjusted after few km.

I know thanks, car drives the same as ever but just has a yellow light.

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
Sensor g269 failed on my leon too. The steering was pulling to the right afterwards. Unfortunately the part is not replaceable on its own and a new steering rack was required. £850 for a recon unit from SEAT or £125 from a breakers.

There is a reset procedure with vagcom which might help if the only symptom is the light on the dash??

Antarctic

Mar 3, 2010
No, G269 (steering torque sensor) can't be reset, only G85 (angle sensor) can. You can try to delete the error but is useless, the error will come back in few seconds.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
If you fit a second hand rack to replace it with the same part number does it need to be coded to the car afterwards ? It's annoying as the car drives spot on apart from the amber light.

Antarctic

Mar 3, 2010
If you fit a second hand rack to replace it with the same part number does it need to be coded to the car afterwards ? It's annoying as the car drives spot on apart from the amber light.

I don't think, but not sure. But if you have (or a friend of you) vagcom you can do that..

Have you done a diagnosis? maybe only a stupid problem...

Give a read to this SPP vvv.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_317.pdf it explain the various possible causes for red and yellow light... ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise