MK2 Flip Key - update with part numbers and guides!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I'm sure there's a few of you looking to perform the flip key mod to your MK2 Ibiza. At the moment, there's nothing set in stone for the MK2s, but I think I may have cracked it! :)

The following things worked for me, I have a MY97 Ibiza with no alarm and an AH profile key.

Remote: The correct remote for this car is made by Siemens with 433.92mhz, like the original remote. The part number you require is 7M3 959 753, and this is normally fitted to the Alhambra, Sharan and Galaxy MY01-.

Remote coding: I found a guide created by Fl@pper on another thread and used it to code the flip fob into the car. (I've modded it a bit, I hope you don't mind!)

1 Turn ignition on to position 2 (red lights on dash)
2 Turn ignition off IMMEDIATELY and pull key out.
3 While HOLDING 1 of the buttons down (doesn't matter which), PRESS the other button 3 times (with a SLIGHT pause) 1 . 2 . 3.
4 Watch the LED on the fob (it should flash) and the doors usually try lock/unlock.
5 Repeat steps 3 & 4 for any other remotes you may have (that includes your old one!)
6 Turn ignition back on to red lights and wait 5 seconds.
7 Turn off ignition, pull key out again and test/admire handywork! :D

Key Blade: There are billion page guides on cutting a spare key to fit (see HERE for more info) but IMHO, that's way too much time and effort. You can buy replacement blades, pre-modded for the flip key from www.eBay.com for £11 delivered (depending on the exchange rate). Once that arrives, all you'll need to do is remove the pin from the key, put in your new blade, whack in the pin and get it cut at your local key cutters. If you don't know what I'm talking about at this point, look at that guide and you'll get it!

Immobiliser Coding: This is probably the biggest nightmare of the whole process. I'm not sure if the flip key transponders will code into the MK2. If they do, you'll need to either take it to SEAT, or get your immobiliser code from SEAT and get someone with VAG-COM to code it in. What I'm going to do is remove the transponder from my old remote key and put it in the casing of the flip key. That'll save a whole load of hassle (if I can get the glue to unstick!) :)

Last edited:

ibiza_streg

Oct 23, 2006
Cornwall
I bought a brand new uncut audi flip key for £11 off ebay! Bargain'o'century!

Got it cut for like a fiver and the bloke in the locksmith told me that the transponder chip in the audi key will work on my mk2 ibizas immobiliser but he needs some sort of safety code specific to my car which apparently I can only get from Seat! I have been told will cost me like £50 or something? Then I have to pay the locksmith another £35 to program the code into the key!

So Its whether I rip the transponder chip out of my original key and try to find somewhere to put it in the audi key! I always have horrible bad luck when it comes to trying to be clever with things and this screams your gunna break your original key and transponder chip!
Either way it could be very exspensive and I am feeling very cheap at the moment!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I'm getting my chip out using the hairdrier to loosen the glue. Then you take the badge off the key (I don't know how the audi ones come apart), rip out the Audi transponder and slide in the original one :)

ibiza_streg

Oct 23, 2006
Cornwall
The audi chip is just a little bit of glass! The seat one is a big square chunk of plastic! Or is the glass bit inside the plastic square?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
On my key its another plastic rectangle. I don't think the Audi ones are right for the Ibiza, hence me publishing only one part number. I tried a 1J0 959 753 AG (MK4 Golf/Leon/MK4 Ibiza Hella fob) and it wouldn't code in.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
3 HOLD 1 of the buttons down (doesn't matter which)
4 PRESS the other 3 times ( with a SLIGHT pause) 1 . 2 . 3.
5 Watch the LED on the fob (it should flash) and the doors usually try lock/unlock.
6 Repeat steps 3, 4 & 5 for any other remotes you may have (that includes your old one!)
7 Turn ignition back on to red lights and wait 5 seconds.
8 Turn off ignition, pull key out again and test/admire handywork! :D

In step 3... do you hold the button down and then move on to step 4, when your still pressing the initial button down and then press the other 3 times.....
or do you let go of the 1st button in step 3 then move to step 4?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I was hungover, and just got up and I managed to do it first time.

You'll be fine, don't you worry! And if you screw it up, just start again from step 1!

Good luck!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
feel free dude - been meaning to post it up myself but after all the hassle i reverted back to the normal key

personally i dont like the flip ones too big n bulky but can confirm as above works a treat and can second the immobiliser trick - just swap over for one thats spare and works anyway

might still have it here somewhere if anyone wants it

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
when i bought new keys for my saxo they programmed the chips for free i just took it down to the dealer and they did it! I had to fit new locks though as the keys came precut with a set of locks. But yeah. Getting the chip coded shouldn't cost you a dime. Does this work with the mkII toledo by the way?

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Remote coding: I found a guide created by Fl@pper on another thread and used it to code the flip fob into the car. (I've modded it a bit, I hope you don't mind!)

3 While HOLDING 1 of the buttons down (doesn't matter which), PRESS the other button 3 times (with a SLIGHT pause) 1 . 2 . 3.
4 Watch the LED on the fob (it should flash) and the doors usually try lock/unlock.
5 Repeat steps 3 & 4 for any other remotes you may have (that includes your old one!)
6 Turn ignition back on to red lights and wait 5 seconds.
7 Turn off ignition, pull key out again and test/admire handywork! :D

Just tried to program the key and the led on the key flashes 5 times then nothing. HAve changed the batteries over as well. Any idea what else i could do to make it work?
Its for an 1999 8v cupra sport ibiza.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.