Robbie C's Ibiza Cupra

Dale!

Robbie C's Personal Techy
Jan 11, 2011
Swindon
Very very late reply and this will keep rob happy :D On to the car then....

After picking everything up from Alex @ backdraft it was rebuild time, alex has cut each piston ring to each cylinder as below

wksn5d.jpg

Installing rings to the JE pistons

et7g2h.jpg

2s00j95.jpg

Then it was time to introduce the IE conrods to the JE's (Sad i know :D)

i2t4qf.jpg

The block was rubbed down and as much surface rust removed as possible, then through the parts washer at work, once this was done it was painted in high temperature satin black block paint.

i6cr2c.jpg

27xr039.jpg

Then the crank was cleaned out in the parts washer ( Everything has been cleaned and double cleaned due to the wear on the valve guides )

fjdk60.jpg

More to follow

Dale!

Jan 11, 2011
Swindon
Fitting ARP Main studs + nuts. Cleaned everything as usual...

r9l7wz.jpg

Studs + main shells installed

okmwcy.jpg

Crank installed and all torqued down

24maphl.jpg

Piston and conrods were installed next with new big end bearings and arp 2000 bolts

34tbt3l.jpg

New Genuine oil pump was installed including associated parts

29vcxi0.jpg

juzp1v.jpg

Next was the sump adjustment due to the arp main stud and nut height difference over bolts ( A Few pictures to help people out )

Sump placed on

b52tr7.jpg

The gap at the gearbox end

xsvtt.jpg

Dale!

Jan 11, 2011
Swindon
xfxjkw.jpg

The two lugs that require removal

xc2n1z.jpg

After removal

1zbebeg.jpg

Rear crank seal was then installed before sump was sealed and bolted on!

Metal impeller water pump and new cambelt tensioner was installed

2605p1e.jpg

Head gasket installed

2rpr0gz.jpg

Head was then torqued down :)

Few Pictures of the head installed

2lcbvv7.jpg

15eimud.jpg

1zqyom1.jpg

15pk8qf.jpg

Dale!

Jan 11, 2011
Swindon
Engine all timed up with new cambelt, tensioner and roller

22ap11.jpg

2yosaxu.jpg

dg6kn6.jpg

dlqf7d.jpg

And where I'm upto, waiting for a few last gaskets which should be here tomorrow

wi3f4z.jpg

6omxjo.jpg

While waiting for the gaskets, I've measured up some bolts to solve robs engine mount bolts "vibrating loose" due to the harder engine mounts and the use it gets, which i can thread lock and nut on the other side acting like a "locking nut"

The rear gearbox mount has been the main problem :( as you can see a bolt has gone for a walk....

2l900th.jpg

Plenty of room to use longer bolts with a "locking nut"

2hmk1zc.jpg

I will be doing this to the rear engine mount too :)

More to follow soon

Dale

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Real attention to detail Dale/ Rob like it a lot, hopefully this is going to be a bulletproof solid engine! I've heard about Alex talking about mains girdles, is this not something to consider at this stage in the build? I guess as a weekend/ track car it might be worth getting especially if you have BT in mind for the future...

Dale!

Jan 11, 2011
Swindon
Real attention to detail Dale/ Rob like it a lot, hopefully this is going to be a bulletproof solid engine! I've heard about Alex talking about mains girdles, is this not something to consider at this stage in the build? I guess as a weekend/ track car it might be worth getting especially if you have BT in mind for the future...

Cheers Joe, as for the girdle we spoke to alex about this but for the future power Rob wants it isn't really worth it... also there is alot of work fitting them including machining!

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
:) Cheers Dale, top work as always. Nearly there now...

Heres how she looked yesterday as we wait for the final few bolts and gaskets to get the engine finished and ready to bolt back into the bay.

WP_000169.jpg

Dale!

Jan 11, 2011
Swindon
More from tonights work :)

First off had last gaskets delivered at work today....

b8qm2d.jpg

When we did the build first time we were going to replace the injector seats but never got round to it, so now was a good time to do them...

The tool i used :rolleyes:

13z63ut.jpg

Old vs new

ip83l3.jpg

I then fitted the wiring loom and all coolant pipes inc new thermostat (no photos)

A few inlet ports photos

2aakr43.jpg

28ib6n6.jpg

Refitting the phenolic 10mm insulator (yet to fit top inlet gasket)

sdkxhz.jpg

Inlet on

24nme7k.jpg

f1d1ft.jpg

Dale

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
where did you get the engine paint from? im going to be painting mine this week have seen a few painted engines with the paint hanging off and want something that'll stay put.

top work from both of you i need me a decent mate with mechanical experience now lol

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
:) Cheers Gaz

I ended up getting mine from Halfords as I needed it quickly and went for the VHT paint in a tin, supposedly good for 650 Deg C.

Another member (Jonny95 SXE) recommended this stuff from Burton power too:

http://www.burtonpower.com/sper002bk.html

Last night Dale got the remaining gaskets fitted together with the manifold, turbo, clutch, flywheel and SQS gearbox so it's now pretty much ready to fit back into the bay.

I also spent some time trying to clean some of the hard to reach areas of the bay of wax oil and grime... this is without doubt the most soul destroying task you'll ever do. The paint is so thin that if you're not extra careful you end up scratching it, but it takes forever and a day to wipe off with cloth and APC/diluted solvents. Still, got the worst off to tidy it up a bit and we'll be continuuing over the weekend to finally get it all back in one piece. Pics to follow soon

Last edited:

Dale!

Jan 11, 2011
Swindon
where did you get the engine paint from? im going to be painting mine this week have seen a few painted engines with the paint hanging off and want something that'll stay put.

top work from both of you i need me a decent mate with mechanical experience now lol

As Rob said but its all about the preparation on the block....

Cheers, Rob doesn't know how lucky he is :)

Rob/ Dale was that a thread adapter with 20mm nut turned upside-down? Need something to do my seals with :)

Its actually an airline end :)

Mr.B33J

2Tone Terror
Apr 28, 2010
Birmingham
all looks like completely insanity to a poor student like me who scrapes together for exterior mods!! can't wait to get into the engine side of things at some point. great thread to get an idea of whats achievable

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Cheers, Rob doesn't know how lucky he is :)

You still harping on about that? Less talky more worky ;)

:)

all looks like completely insanity to a poor student like me who scrapes together for exterior mods!! can't wait to get into the engine side of things at some point. great thread to get an idea of whats achievable

Thanks, stick with it - I remember not too long ago when I was at uni and could barely afford to run my first car, let alone modify it - back in the days when fitting big wheels and a bodykit seemed like the right thing to do... :ban:

I remember I ended up spending most of my student loan on the car rather than study material :D

Reminds me, here's my first car alongside the Cupra when I first picked her up - how things change! :hide:

DSC00017.jpg

Couple more shots I found lying around in my old pics:

STA41574.jpg

STA41597.jpg

My point being we all start somewhere and you live, you learn :)

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Digging around a few old pics I also found these few shots taken at Castle Combe in Oct 2010 where I obliterated third gear

P1010019.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010024.jpg

Not forgetting the mighty 106 of love's debut on track when I was letting the Cupra cool down in-between sessions :)

P1010026.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members