Wots the difference between an APP engine and an APQ engine?

Nathan-Jon

Thanks for all your help guys i really appreciate it! ive just got my replacement engine only to find its an AJQ? and when i spoke to the breakers they typed in the reg plate and its an APP engine in it.
It looks identical. As i stated yesterday its from an audi a3 Quattro 1.8t.

All turbo mounts are the same the exhaust is the same and intake the same wot do u guys reckon?

Thanks again! :confused:

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Which engine is it, in the heading you say its an APQ and in the post you say its an AJQ.
Mine has the AUQ which is the 180bhp engine with esp. i think the APP engine is the 150 bhp engine with out esp. But i am probably wrong.

SHADY-NINJA

Feb 14, 2005
London
www.airconmedic.co.uk
from my knowledge on the Audi A3 1.8 20VT, if the engine came from a quattro then it is definately a 180BHP coz that was the only A3 petrol model that came with quattro.
i am not too sure if they came with six speed gearbox, but try to make sure you get the brain box along with the ignition barrell plus keys otherwise you might encounter starting problems.
N.B. there are plenty of crashed leons about that you can easily pick a cheap engine out of without too much hassle.

Foxy

200bhp **** member no. 1
Oct 25, 2003
Daventry
www.pug306.net
APP is the 2000 year Leon engine, like mine with 180bhp but non VVT head. AJQ is a 150bhp A3 engine Im sure...... not too panic as its basically the same. Same turbo, head, block etc. Might even be the large port version?

Last edited:

Nathan-Jon

Right its an APQ engine but the breakers wrote APJ on it cos on the cambelt cover it has got APJ* followed by a long number. Dont want to fit it if its not gonna run but as i say it looks the same.

Should i send it back and find the APP engine instead but they seem to be quite pricey and hard to come by round my way?

Thanks

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
APQ is a 60 BHp 1.4 petrol engine found in Ibizas and Arosas.

Both APP and AJQ are 180 BHp 1.8 turbo petrol engines found in Leons, Audi A3s and Audi TT's

APJ is one I can't find anything about.

Have a look on the block next to the bellhousing joint and see what letters are stamped there.

smivvy

Seat Leon Cupra
Apr 21, 2008
Northants
Hi the APP engine is in both the Leon and the earlier Audi A3 Quattro and are both 180bhp and will interchange. You can also fit an AUQ into your APP. Gearbox mounts etc are the same in either the a3 and or Seat Leon as far as i am aware.
The engines are the same, have you visually looked? They will be identical? I would ignore the writing on the engine. I know there are a number of vehicle reg checks around and some can list a different engine code.
I would say it will fit and bet both are APP engines

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Er - smivvy? The engine number stamped into the block is definitive - whatever may be written elsewhere, the number that is stamped into the engine itself is a certain indicator of the engine configuration when it was built. So it is a bit misleading to say "ignore the writing on the engine".

smivvy

Seat Leon Cupra
Apr 21, 2008
Northants
@ Muttley

No don't ignore the embossed number on the engine ie AUQ or APP but DO ignore the illiterate scrawl the breakers wrote on it as it would appear wrong.

You just misread what I had written, that was all ;)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
So I did. But then I'd never trust what the breakers may write on anything - they aren't VAG experts, they just make a good guess at the market price for things (or they go out of business). So they're likely to guess at a higher-spec part, to get a higher price, and hope the buyer doesn't quibble. Probably doesn't most of the time.

smivvy

Seat Leon Cupra
Apr 21, 2008
Northants
^^^^

You know we could fall out :p

I work for an Auto Salvage Company. One of the better ones even if I do say so myself ;)

As you say there are some Breakers out there that are not trustworthy. There are however some good people out there and some that do know their stuff.

Our sales guys including myself are helpful but then there are people taking the engines out :shrug:
Some are more qualified than others. I know our mechanics will generally write down the engine code if immediately visible or will wait til we can check on our Vehicle check systems which are not, unfortunatey, 100% correct all the time.

But going back to the original query here, just go by the embossed three letters on top of the engine on the side of the head. Fool proof!!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I'll take my foot out of my mouth then, shall I? :redface:

Let's say that I'd always check what was written on the part by the scrappie against manufacturers data panels or anything else available to confirm, as it's usually "buyer beware" - and fair enough, as long as that's stated up front, after all I'm getting a cheaper part so I shouldn't expect a warranty. :headhurt: It's been a while since I used a scrappie for anything, so my experience is probably out of date.

smivvy

Seat Leon Cupra
Apr 21, 2008
Northants
lol Don't worry

I didn't have the greatest experience with a breaker before I came into the business myself.

I suppose it's the same as 2nd hand car dealers. There will always be untrustworthy people.

Buyers are always protected now by consumer law so they have more comeback. It isn't always the Buyer that is at risk. We have had many customers who are not legit and have caused us trouble and we have lsot money due to this.

There are some good Salvage companies around now. They will , as we do, warranty all parts within reason.

Oh and going back to the thread again. When you do replace the engine yuo may need to get the immobiliser recoded up by Seat. I tried an Auto locksmith and they could not help so it had to go down to Seat in the end

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
If Nathan-Jon has an APQ (as he said above) then he needs to send it back pronto. If it's an APP he's ok, as you already said.

As far as the immobiliser goes, the immobiliser processor is in the dashboard, integrated into the dash panel as far as I can tell, and the ECU and the RFI tags in the keys are registered on it. So, if you can keep the ECU and dash panel together then you should be ok. That of course will only work if you are replacing like with like, an APP with an APP. I don't know enough to say whether an AUQ will work with an ECU set for an APP, or any other non-matching combination.

Nathan-Jon

Sending the APQ Engine back! LOL

So the quest continues! Seat Leon 1.8t Xreggy! LOL right cant find an APP engine anywhere but the breakers tell me that i can use other engines like an AUQ and they dont reckon u need any other ancillaries with it? I take it u need to get it re-mapped by Seat for the other engine codes?

Thanks

:shrug:

IBD

Here Again!
Jan 16, 2006
North West
I think I am right in saying this, but the APP coded engine only has the K03 turbo and not the K03S, which most Leons have. Power is rated at 177bhp, but always called a 180. It is the same turbo as in the mkIV golf, the Leon just has a different map to the ecu.
I have an APP engine in mine, only issue is after a remap, it will struggle to break the magic 200bhp

smivvy

Seat Leon Cupra
Apr 21, 2008
Northants
You can put an AUQ into an APP Seat Leon very easily then if you do remap at a later date you will see more gains.

All you need is the wiring loom to be sold with the engine and the coolant bottle is different.

I have an AUQ engine complete with Turbo and ancilleries including loom for sale. It is posted in the 'For Sale' section.

What was actually on the engine youi received? Did it say APP on the small jutted out metal section on the left side of the engine under the cover?

loronge2k14

I have a app engine 200 leon with a revo remap and thats 215bhp with a k03s on it and 3inch straight through de-catted all the way putting a biger fuel pressure regulator race fuel pump bigger injectors a k03s hybrid and fmic see what o can get it running to

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.