Worrying oil level

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I checked my oil today for the first time since buying it (sloppy I know, but I've only had it a month) and the levels were REALLY low, to the point of not even meeting the lowest point on the dipstick marker :blink:

What's worrying me most, is the car must have used all that oil since it's last service around 5k miles ago. Also worrying, is the oil level light didn't come on.

I've topped it up today with some Castrol Edge 5w30 and it took about 2.5l to fill up to a better level, with the dipstick showing full. How does this 2.5l compare to the amount the sump can hold?

And at what point should the oil light come on?

Rob

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
the oil light will only come on when the oil pressure is low.... and that normally means you have none.

2.5L is just under half full (4.5L capacity)

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Just a thought, but under what conditions did you check the oil? Was the car on a level flat surface? Was the engine warm? If so, did you leave it for 10 minutes before checking the level? Even taking all that into account, that is very low but I don't believe its unusual for multivalve engines to use a little bit of oil, especially the turbo charged jobbies. But keep a close eye on it, once a week check is an absolute must.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
If 2.5l means half that's a little more reassuring!

The car was stone cold (not been used since Friday and I checked this afternoon). Was on a level driveway too, so everything was ideal for checking.

I've just got back from a bit of a trip out and the car feels great, possibly better than before....? So I'm confident all is ok and no damage has been done.

iannez

Jul 27, 2006
my light came on a few months ago. the light was yellow warning me it was low and i think it comes on red when very low and loss of oil pressure. when i topped it up i found the seal had gone on the filler cap and it was leaking from there. fitted a new one and has never used a drop since.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise