• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Worn gear knob and stearing wheel

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
My gear knob (when bought from dealer) was all worn and I asked the dealers to look at this, but they did a very poor job and it looks like a 5 year old kid has touched it up with a purple marker pen.

Am i right in saying i will not be able to get this replaced under warranty now, because the dealers have made a hash of it?

Also my stearing wheel (mainly right at the top centre where the red is) looks worn. Considering the car is just under 1 1/2 year old could this be replaced under warranty as well?:confused:

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
If you weren't happy with what they did to the gear knob why did you except it?

Have you tried some leather cleaner and conditioner on the steering wheel to see if that helps it at all?

Only other thing you can do I guess is to go back to the dealer and see if they will do anything about it - they should if it's under warrenty and if they arge that the gear knob has been coloured in then you have to point out it was them that did it and demand a replacement...

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
If you weren't happy with what they did to the gear knob why did you except it?

Have you tried some leather cleaner and conditioner on the steering wheel to see if that helps it at all?

Only other thing you can do I guess is to go back to the dealer and see if they will do anything about it - they should if it's under warrenty and if they arge that the gear knob has been coloured in then you have to point out it was them that did it and demand a replacement...

I see what you mean. Trouble is I drove 2 hours to pick it up and they said they did all they could with it and were not prepared to do anything else. I really did not want to drive back without it cause of the gear knob. Plus with the excitement I thought it would not bother me too much.:doh:

I have contacted seat and left a message as going to speak to them direct - if I ask the dealer they are bound to say its not covered. the reason why I asked id when I did a search on the forum a couple of people have mentioned they have had their gear knob replaced under warranty, but did not say why.

Cheers for the help.:)

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Think I will have a battle with seat first to see if i can get anywhere. As it is still well within warranty I don't see why I should be replacing gear knob and steering wheel, but will have to see.

Main thing is it does not stop me driving and enjoying the LCR - just a little niggle.

Cheers for your help:)

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
Well best of luck getting it sorted out fella! Where in Surrey are you based? I can recommend Camberly Seat Service Centre for their service and customer support - wish I could say the same about the place that I bought mine from but I'd be lying lol

Matt Cupra R

Jan 13, 2006
Berkshire
When mine was less than 6 months old I complained about the steering wheel and Camberly replaced the wheel for a new one. They just had to get authorisation from Seat UK first. They also changed my badges under warrentee for free. Next service I will ask for new badges again but I wont bother with the gear knob as almost all of the bit around the top has now worn off and it looks better than it did new.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.