• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Worn engine mount?

djheath

Hello,

Hopefully you wont kill me for not having a Cupra - its not like I dont want one!! - bit I would love some help if possible.

I have a 2001 1.6 Leon and have just giving it a service. I started the engine to check for an fluid leaks and let it idle for a bit. I noticed that the engine "rocks" a lot. There is a lot of movement in it and it seems like its unbalanced. I have noticed this quite a bit in when in the car and can see things vibrating when they are sat on the seat - bags, books, , dogs, girlfriends! The gear stick has a lot of vibration through it too.

I switched the engine off and wiggled the engine cover with my hand. The right hand, gearbox side, engine mount seems very wobbly. I can move it forwards and backwards a good 2 cms or so with very little effort. If I stick my fingers under the metal clamp, there is a lot of red/black grease all over it.
The left hand engine side mount hardly moves at all.

Is this movement normal? Should both mounts give the same amount of play?

Any help would be great thanks.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Waahheyyyy another 1.6'er!! lol, iv just fitted the Powerflex dog bone mount to mine mate, made the world of difference to it!! Really improved the drive, gear changes etc! And yes my top mounts seem soft but i dont tend to experience the gear stick wobble.

If you need anythin else, shout up

Jimski

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
The engine mounts on my V5 Tolly have gone to the land beyond after 9 years and 130k miles. I have got new mounts from the dealer at £170 for the top two (Did the dogbone a few months ago). I'm going to fit them tomorrow and if I have time, I will do a photo guide.

I could tell they were gone as the engine flopped around all over the place and the dogbone seemed to have a lot of pressure on it. I tested it with a mate looking at the engine as I put the car in 1st gear and took it to the biting point (with the handbrake on) to get an idea of how much the engine rocked. It will rock a bit, but mine was almost travelling across the whole engine bay.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
I to have bought a mount today, however they are cheaper from VW, not that you want to know this!!

Il take some piccies and report back

Jimski

gurpalbasra

Jul 14, 2008
Hi ,
I am experiencing the same engine movement on my 2004 1.6 SX Leon.

I also tried the in gear rock test and noticed the top mount on the gearbox seems to have excessive play. Even just rocking by hand the movement is too great.

I have concerns over the dreaded DUU grearbox issue, so when the gearstick jumps when pressing the loud pedal and jumps again when depressing, I starting to investigate further.

I suppose having a rod gear linkage as opposed to by-wire may contribute to the gearstick movement.
I think this is exessive for a 40k car, but the previous owners may have caused this. Any advice would be welcome about which mounts to change and where to get them .

I have had a dogbone mount changed in the past on a VW TDI 1999, so this area is obviously prone to weakness.

Thanks G

Bosher

The gearbox mount on my 1.6 seems very squidgy and has a lot of movement in it... plus it looks like the engine is slightly lower that side than the other and my gearchange does seem a bit stiff.

But the mount doesn't appear to be broken. and i'm not inclined to want to replace it 'just in case' as it is a huge great mount and ain't gonna be cheap.

Hope someone out there has been thru the same before and can help...

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Dude, yet again i can help you out!!

Iv changed my dog bone and the pass side engine/gearbox mount, loads of difference and not all that expensive!!

GSF stock the engine/gearbox jobby, (its a mk4 golf part tho of 1J0199555AJ i do believe) and i think your talkin around the 30 spondoolies mark.

The dog bone mounts are 15 spondoolies take 20 mins to fit and the diff is immense!!

Iv done both, so its eaaaaasy :p

Jimski

gurpalbasra

Jul 14, 2008
Hi,

I managed to get a quote from GSF for the mounts.

p/n 10148H Engine mount top of g/box £29.50 +v or £23.90+v for trade
p/n 31147E Gearbox dogbone mount £27.50+v or £25+v for trade

I also got a quote from Puma Build in Birmingham B44 for the Powerflex dogbone mount replacement bushes £15.95+vat. yet to confirm total cost as I can collect as they are down the road.

Still in 2 minds about the Powerflex as I have read on forums it can make in car vibrations quite harsh.

As you can see though, the Powerflex comes in a little cheaper. although you have to fit the bushes into your old mount.

Fitting is pretty easy say 30 mins.

I definately need to replace the one in the engine as it's got too much movement.

Jimski, how you getting on with your powerflex, did it settle down?

Cheers

gurpalbasra

Jul 14, 2008
Quick update the engine/gearbox mount looked ok

However the other mount I thought would be the dogleg mount is infact not, it's the engine mount for the other side of the engine, so I did not buy that.

Anyone got any ideas where to get the dogleg other than the stealers?

I am still considering, replacing stock with stock due to vibrations etc :cry:

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
As previously said the vibration is minimal and soon becomes un-noticeable. Stop being a pansy and get it changed!!

Jimski

gurpalbasra

Jul 14, 2008
Cheers Jimski

Direct and to the point as usual!

Not sure if i could take the grief from the missus if it got too bad as the car is her daily run about.

G

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Haha, just say it was cheaper, that always works well!!

Or failing that if she doesnt like the Powerflex one, get her to buy the OEM one!! Only a 20 mins job to change over!

Jimski

gurpalbasra

Jul 14, 2008
Where's the best place to get the OEM dog bone?

I checked with the stealers and they wanted around £70 and GSF dont have it listed?

I am sure the one for my old 1998 TDI was from Euro or GSF 4 years back!

gurpalbasra

Jul 14, 2008
Quick update
Got the gearbox top mount changed on Wednesday night, wow what a difference, no more gearstick moving and gear change jerk!! The old mount definately had way too much movement on a car only 4 years old with 42k, however I purchase the car 2 months ago with this fault!
I can still feel some movement though. Called Euro Car Parts and they stock the OEM type dogbone mount for around £20 so may change that too.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members