Why are Pirelli tyres so bad???

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Ive searched on here and all the threads say the same thing that Pirelli tyres are rubbish? Ive got 4 P-zero nero's on my LCR 225 and i think there great in the dry and wet. The car gets driven hard sometimes and the grip is really good and the wear rate too. I just cant fault them!!

Please people justify why these tyres are bad coz i think there great!!!! or is there anyone out there that thinks the same as me?:p

AusCupra

Sep 22, 2008
Wexford
Hi

Can't say I know the answer to that but I do have a theory?

Pirelli's are expensive, and to be honest from what I've used in the past there not any better than say a Bridgestone, Hankook or Toyo..which are available at a much better price. Ride comfort and grip are acceptable.. The ride on a Pirelli is better than some (Khumo, Dunlop) as well as grip being better as well, but again for what you pay there no better than others on the market.

Also (well motorsport side of things anyway) apart from Pirelli trying to buy all the rally championship's around the world. to use a control tyre, their R & D department has been seriously slashed in order to save costs along with their testing, etc. This has had a knock on affect to the road car development as well!

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I had pirelli p zeros on my lcr for 3 days while my wheels were refurbed; i was used to dunlop sport maxx and falken 452s - doing the same corners at the same sort of pace - forgetting I had different tyres on - I can say I was glad I had taken a decent chunk of the other side of the road on entry because the tyres didn't hold anywhere near as well as I was expecting!!

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
More than happy with Neros when I had them on the Volvo but I've had Rossos as OE on my last 3 cars and they're awful when part-worn if the roads aren't bone dry.

Rarpuc

Jun 28, 2008
west of scotland
I had p-zeros on my LCR(they came with the car) and at the service last week the mechanic had to change the front right as the tread on the inner side of the tyre was starting to delaminate! F$*king awful wont be touching them again!

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
The p-zero std tyres cant handle the power and weight of an LCR so deform and wear badly down centre of tyre, yes I'm religious about pressures but both LCR's did it on std tyres! GSD3's all the way!!!

mattfr

Unfotunately I too was sold my leon with the P0. I soon put that straight with some GSD's. Had them on my Golf MK4, and no matter how hard I pushed I still had tread, and on the leon they have done a good 12k of hard motorway miles and still have no sign of giving up the ghost. GSD all the way

Cunners

Jan 19, 2007
Connah's Quay, nr Chester
I also had P zero's on my LCR as it came from the stealers. After reading up on this forum i changed to Goodyear eagle f1's and bloody hell either the Goodyears are the best rubber in the world or the Pirelli's are that bad.
Couldn't believe the difference in grip in both dry and wet and also i personally find the road noise from the Goodyears alot quieter.

Shani

Habitual derv user
Aug 12, 2007
Baillieston, Glasgow
I had P6000s on when I bought the car and they are absolutely awful.

My next set was P-zero assimetriccco's. Was suggested by the guy at the tyre garage. I went in looking for GSD3's but he suggested the P-zero's saying the GSD3's were good but quite soft. He warned me off the P-zero rosso (wet weather handling issue he said) and he said the P-zero nero's were pretty grippy but noisy as hell. Normally I ignore these guys but he had a stage 2 mapped Evo 9. His previous car was an WRX Sti. He's then only guy in a tyre retailer that i actually felt he knew what he was talking about.

However the Pzeros were Ok in the dry but would give up the ghost and spin in third gear in the wet (I drive a Stage 1 Custom-code mapped FR TDi).

After great review I got the Eagle F1 assymetrics which, having done about 1,500 miles, are the best tyres I've ever driven on. Grip is endless and gives up predictably. But the most impressive thing is the road noise. I now have an annoying whistle on motorwat runs that I couldn't previously hear. And I can here my induction on motorways!

Won't go near Pirelli tyres again I think.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
More than happy with Neros when I had them on the Volvo but I've had Rossos as OE on my last 3 cars and they're awful when part-worn if the roads aren't bone dry.

must depend on the car as we have them on the passat estate and they are fine, yet poor on the leon.
black magic me thinks:think:

mattfr

i think maybe manufacturers do a deal with tyre companies, even though they do not compliment the car, but it can be money saving. i remember on my clio sport it had continental sports and it shredded the tyres. acccording to not so kwik fit it was because the weight of the car was so much that the tyre couldnt handle it?!? at that time i thought more like my cornering was a tad to speedy. i guess it depends on when you drive, what roads you drive on, and how you drive. i use fast A roads and the M 27and M3 a lot, which are fairly good roads.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Most Leon Mk1 cars come from factory with P6000 tyres, and these are the worst crap ever fitted to a sporty car: hard rubber, spinning wheels like they had a mad hamster inside, car almost jumps in the air on potholes. Changed to Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics, they are a pleasure

~Nautilus

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Cheers for all the replies guys!!! keep them coming,:D and thanks for reminding me to sort my avatar!!!! Maybe i will think the same if i put goodyears on the car. I thought the road noise was greatly reduced since putting the pirellis on??!!:confused: But as i said i cant fault them.

I ask this coz most LCR's i see weather they be on ebay or parked on the road have pirellis on.

seat_tux

I have to agree. I've got PZeros on my LC and am planning to get them off asap.
The grip is unexpectedly poor compared to Eagle F1s, which I was previously used to.