What mileage is too high of a mileage for a 14 leon Cupra 280

Jul 18, 2024
Hi, I’m interested in purchasing a Cupra at 95k miles which is posted for around £8.5k the only thing is that the mileage is putting me off. Has anyone racked up a lot of miles on thier Cupra? And are these engines capable?

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I'm just about to cross the 100,000 mile mark on my 2016 Cupra 280, 92,000 I put on myself. I used to drive 20,000 miles a year before COVID just doing the 80 miles a day commute to work which made visiting the dealer a regular occurrence!

Aside from regular maintenance items, I've had to have the thermostat housing, water pump and differential replaced due to leaks at a cost of £3k. I also had to replace the plastic oil sump with a pressed steel one after grounding the car somewhere left a tiny hole leaking oil from the sump.

Brake discs and pads are expensive if you're sticking with OEM and need to do all of them at once, it's possible you may need to if the discs haven't been changed yet.

Search on the forum for heater matrix / radiator / silicate issues and budget for that potentially too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daz3d and Mr Pig

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@mussseh - I’d be asking the seller for details of the car’s service history. If it’s comprehensive with all scheduled service items carried out on time then that probably reduces the risk of ‘big ticket’ repairs. Unexpected issues might still crop up but that can happen with any car, but IMHO the risk increases with age and mileage especially if previous owners have skimped on servicing and maintenance. Water pump and thermostat housing are weak points with VAG’s EA888 2.0 litre petrol engine - even on relatively new, low mileage cars - so definitely worth checking if they’ve ever been replaced and how recently.

Also worth checking the car’s MOT history on the gov.uk website. if it’s consistently passed the annual MOT without advisories, then that could be an indication of it being a well maintained car. Additionally, when viewing the car in person - or pictures of the car - a set of good quality premium brand matching tyres could also be an indication (but not a guarantee) that it’s been well cared for.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.