Water in driver footwell

Jul 6, 2024
For some weeks now we have water in our footwell on the drivers side only.

We already tried to figure out where the water is coming from but we are still not sure. The only thing we found is shown in the image.
When we pour water on the windshield it flows to the drivers side and some water will drop into the area of the battery. You can see some
drops in the image. I am not sure if this is a reasonable explanation for the water in the footwell. It only happens when we have some heavy rain
and then the footwell is soaked pretty well.

What do you think about it? Are the other areas where it could come from? When opening the footweel area we could not see any source where it came from.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20240623_110027768.jpg
    PXL_20240623_110027768.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 64

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
For some weeks now we have water in our footwell on the drivers side only.

We already tried to figure out where the water is coming from but we are still not sure. The only thing we found is shown in the image.
When we pour water on the windshield it flows to the drivers side and some water will drop into the area of the battery. You can see some
drops in the image. I am not sure if this is a reasonable explanation for the water in the footwell. It only happens when we have some heavy rain
and then the footwell is soaked pretty well.

What do you think about it? Are the other areas where it could come from? When opening the footweel area we could not see any source where it came from.

Thanks a lot in advance!
There are several posts about water in the footwells on this forum, try and do a search on the Mk3 main forum.

Jul 6, 2024
There are several posts about water in the footwells on this forum, try and do a search on the Mk3 main forum.
Thanks for the suggestion but I already did that. Also, obviously i posted in the wrong sub, sorry for that.
I tried to reproduce the issue today in my garage with a water hose but that did not work.

Just a few moments ago I realized that the car is always parked downhill. So maybe the ingress is not at the front but somewhere
else and the water just accumulates at the front. But then again I guess there should be any traces to be found...

Reactions: Walone
Jul 6, 2024
I've got another update. I bought some water dye and poured around 30l over my car. A few minutes later still no water was visible. Later it rained and I was lucky. Some bright green water was dripping inside :)

In the attached pictureI highlighted the area where I could see the water dripping from. Unfortunately I have no idea what is behind and what this could mean. I also do not have any of the repair manuals as they are not online anymore. Any help here is very appreciated!

Now, a few minutes later I also have a picture of the engine area. I dont know if this does make any sense but maybe it helps. Besides a small drop where my finger is I found a larger area which should also be relatively near the ingress point. Any idea what that is?

Attachments

• seat_water.jpg
    seat_water.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 42
  • seat_water_engine.jpg
    seat_water_engine.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Jul 6, 2024
One more update. Unfortunately I cant edit my last post anymore...
I was curios where the water is coming from. The green area is dyed water that soaked some kind of cloth like material.
But there is no visible trace. So I thought the water must be coming from inside at this point. I dissasembled this material a bit a the top.
You can see the result in my new picture. From this point on I guess my best bet is the windshield?

Attachments

• PXL_20240728_110428825.jpg
    PXL_20240728_110428825.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Sad
Reactions: Walone