Tyre Choice

AL-TDI

AL-TDI
May 10, 2005
Walsall West Mids
I've tried searching previous threads but can't find what i'm looking for
What have people found to be the best choice of tyre taking into account price and performance
I did buy some cheaper tyres which were fine in the dry but no good at all in the wet, so I put them on the back thinking they would be ok bad choice as I lost the back end at 90+ and ended up doing a double 360 amazingly missed all the other traffic and resulted in some slight cosmetic damage scuffed wheel and damage to the side skirt.:cry:
input much appreciated
Thanks
AL

AL-TDI

AL-TDI
May 10, 2005
Walsall West Mids
Sorry yes durability does come into it as I dont wish to be changing tyres to frequently hopefully looking to get 10 - 15k off the front ones

cheers
Al

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
TBH durability will fall in almost direct proportion to increase in performance.

The hard compound that makes a tyre durable will detract from it's performance.

Toyo Proxes/GSD3's/SP9000's really do seem to be the best compromise of all the things you are looking for.

Search a bit harder, it's all been discussed a zillion times before.

Moonlight

The tyre I like and use are Toyo proxies T1-S they also do a New slightly dearer T1-R the differance is the outer edges of the tyre on the R are harder wearing.
I get mine from Demon Tweeks in wrexam for £132 for 2 fitted.
My tyres are 205/40/17 and these tyres are renound for being good in the wet.
They are also used in a race series in Australia (cant remember which one though).
so have lots of development behind them..;)

TDIzeeland

For tyres I realy loving the dunloop sports 17 inch 205 they are super in dry whether and they still preform great when it rains the only negative point is snow then they don't preform as good

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
And whatever you do, put the best tyres on the back.

I know that doesn't seem obvious, but do some reading on tyre manufacturer websites and they'll explain why.

Simon.

TDIzeeland

yes I don't know what's the problem here with the weather but it snows for 2 days al ready and the weekend it will only get worse and now my dunloop tyres aren't good at all.
And what do you people say about the endurance on toyo ti-s tyre I don't like them because they don't last long with me

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
been to maastricht this very last week end and yes, the weather was ****,,, but nothing like switzerland where I had the pleasure to skid on ice on the motorway with the truck,,, the worst accident I've ever had!!

anyway, you gotta choose if you want to drive fast or save money, you can't have both,,,
the t1-s are not produced anymore, the t1-r,,, i've had them for 10000km now and they're still kinda fine,,, [but I drive VERY conservatively]

Fez boy

Apr 23, 2003
Watford
Visit site
Mine has F1 GSD3's all around and must admit they feel very good in the dry & rain.

I had the Toyos on my old car(T1's) but they don't make them anymore and the new T1R's I hated them :(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members