Turbo Dynamics K04 hybrid

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Evening all,

I am looking for more power from my LCR while keeping it as stock as possible(rods, exhaust mani etc..) basically i am looking for a bolt on solution.

I have been reading around here for a few days now and on other sources on the internet.
At the start i dead set on getting an eliminator kit(Eliminator 2 (E2) GT28RS)to get me up to and maybe a bit over the 300bhp mark, after talking with Bill he told me it wasn't as cut and dry as that, which i was suprised at seeing as ATP market it as a bolt-on solution for people running a K04 on a 1.8t, but i would highly trust his opinion.

So that leads me to the turbo dynamics kit which is claiming big gains on stock hardware, literally plug and play, along with FPR(if needed) and injectors. I have linked the spec sheet below.

i am interested in the MD421 kit which they say is capable of 340-360bhp with a free flowing exhaust system(i have a full blueflame turbo back) and a high flow manifold, i don't have or intend if possible to get a higher flowing mani, but the kit should see me to 300bhp. Would it?

Has anyone done this, i am very suprised at the BHP ratings for a hybrid K04.

Any thoughts/opinions

My mods are in my sig.

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/acatalog/Audi_S3_TT_Seat Cupra_R_Hybrids.pdf

Thanks

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
dont believe the hype on the claims.. no where near those levels realised on any car running one..

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
it is, BUT, and its a big but for me, they wil need to be run very hard to achieve the bigger power levels, and I fear for stock rods with their inherant big torque delivery...
remap will be required such is their different spool characteristics, or MBC to diy it yourself, if your existing software is wide enough on limits to not drop into limp modes

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Why not just spend £300 on a decent WMI system and see if this makes you happier with the cars performance.
If not you can easily sell it without too much loss of money.
This is a true bolt on upgrade

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
decent WMI kit will cost >£300 currently, more like £360 with exchange rates being poor etc

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Hmmm.. I cant see wmi making the gap from K04 to break the 300bhp level realistically. Its good, controls temps lovely, allows more timing (think rods!), but.... its a big ask

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
it is, BUT, and its a big but for me, they wil need to be run very hard to achieve the bigger power levels, and I fear for stock rods with their inherant big torque delivery...
remap will be required such is their different spool characteristics, or MBC to diy it yourself, if your existing software is wide enough on limits to not drop into limp modes

I think it will all come down to the map, i have a custom map on at them moment done by an expierenced tuner in ireland, my current map boosts to 1.6bar and no higher, i did have big torque delivery on a previous map but it was also accompanied by massive timing pull :headhurt: i got this mapped out as i wanted a more progressive curve on the dyno.

The Euro Vs Sterling has gone pear shaped over the last few weeks so it will give me a bit more time to investigate but it does look like i will be going the hybrid route, lets hope i get the same results as Wild Willy who managed to get 308bhp from his hybrid.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
There are KO4 turbo'd LCR 'supposedly'running very close to 300 BHP.
Depends how well you want the system to be set up.
For a reliable 300 BHP go GT2871r
For purely figures to boast about try WMI and a favourable RR, lol

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
There are KO4 turbo'd LCR 'supposedly'running very close to 300 BHP.
Depends how well you want the system to be set up.
For a reliable 300 BHP go GT2871r
For purely figures to boast about try WMI and a favourable RR, lol

For sure i would love to go the GT2871r route, but i would need to change my setup, downpipe, tip, charge pipe as its not a bolt on solution but would be the most reliable setup.

I do agree WMI is a great little solution for gaining more power thru timing but i don't think its an every day solution for me as getting the water/meth mix in ireland could prove to be hard.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
For sure i would love to go the GT2871r route, but i would need to change my setup, downpipe, tip, charge pipe as its not a bolt on solution but would be the most reliable setup.

I do agree WMI is a great little solution for gaining more power thru timing but i don't think its an every day solution for me as getting the water/meth mix in ireland could prove to be hard.
You don't have water in Ireland.....rubbish.

I've been there and there was plenty falling from the sky, lol

Methanol would not be difficult to find either.

You say an every day solution, how often during the day do you need 300 BHP?
You could have this on a switch set up, when you felt the need, switch the fecker on.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
You don't have water in Ireland.....rubbish.

I've been there and there was plenty falling from the sky, lol

Methanol would not be difficult to find either.

You say an every day solution, how often during the day do you need 300 BHP?
You could have this on a switch set up, when you felt the need, switch the fecker on.

Ok yes we have water, to much infact, the methanol is really difficult to get, i can get it it in 45gallon drums and thats it, I remember hunting around for this before with very little success, i can get it in the UK but the shipping charges are daft, i fear i would end up running out of the stuff and then putting it on the long finger to order more:whistle:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
For the price difference between this and a hybrid turbo you could have a tanker full of the stuff following you about, lol.

I'm going to go down the WMI route. for me there isn't enough difference between a hybrid turbo and a stage 2 mapped oem ko4 with WMI set up properly.

the only turbo set worth making is GT2871 with supporting mods. Your speaking about 4,000 GBP compared to say 1,000 GBP MAX for getting WMI and getting it set up with a life supply of Methanol

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
For the price difference between this and a hybrid turbo you could have a tanker full of the stuff following you about, lol.

I'm going to go down the WMI route. for me there isn't enough difference between a hybrid turbo and a stage 2 mapped oem ko4 with WMI set up properly.

the only turbo set worth making is GT2871 with supporting mods. Your speaking about 4,000 GBP compared to say 1,000 GBP MAX for getting WMI and getting it set up with a life supply of Methanol

I do see your point with the WMI and maybe it will happen in the further for me, but i cannot see the WMI getting me to the 300bhp mark where as the K04 hybrid does have the possibility to get me there, its not guaranteed but it is the favourite at the moment.

I just in fact spoke to Mark in CR turbo's, very helpful guy, he gave me the low down minus all the fancy BS and was very helpful, he even out quoted TD hybrids.

The one question he put to me and i need to research it myself is the actuator choices, either a 7-9psi and controlled by the N75 or a 14psi actuator working off manifold pressure and therefore making the N75 redundant, i have a rough idea of what that means but would not be sure of the choice to go for, does that make sense to your guys?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
1bar actuator is what will make it a complete pig to map with n75
9psi is what i spec'd, which is neasrly double std anyhows..
if you have manifold pressures which exceed the 9psi, you are trying too hard anyhows imho, back out of it, you are just creating more backpressure, loads, and temperatures at this point... you aint getting more flow and its way past efficient