turbo actuator, common failure?

jamie1

Sep 28, 2010
south east
After fixing one problem, another one pops up! Last week i had a boost issue, which i found was a split pipe where i could only boost to 0.9 bar.

A few days ago i went for an 'enthusiastic' drive and noticed my cars not holding any boost at all above around .4 bar.

On a 3rd gear pull the boost will peak at 1.4 bar and just drop off rapidly. This happens in every gear where full boost is requested.

This time im 99% sure i dont have any split pipes as last week i went over every boost/vacuum pipe throughly and found only one. Im not ruling it out though, however i dont think its a split pipe.

Whilst looking over it today, i found that the vacuum pipe on the top of the actuator, wasn't loose as if it was just sitting on there, but, i could turn the stock clip round by hand had managed to pull the pipe off with the clip still on with a slight bit of pressure. Also, i pulled on the actuator rod to see how much pressure it took to open the penny flap, and to me didnt take that much force, although i had to pull with a little effort.

I fitted a new clip to the pipe and went for a run but still didn't hold boost.

I am wondering if the diaphram in the actautor has collapsed?

I have read a few threads with similar problems and there has been suggestions of a failing maf or even turbo?

Unfortunatley i don't have vac-com so am unable to get any logs as yet.

I have also managed to source a boost leak tester which i will try but wont have it until onother few days so thought id ask you lot your opinions?

Iv taken d/v off and tried another one aswell but still the same!

Cars an amd stage 2.

Thanks.

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
in the same boat , my actuator as failed of failing , peaks fine but surging and not holding boost properly , can actually pull and the actuator rod by hand with a little force , will be getting new turbo i think cause if actuator as failed no doubt my turbo aint got long left just gonna take the plunge and get new turbo or rebuild mine

jamie1

Sep 28, 2010
south east
well if its the turbo i'll live with it as soon enough, if i keep the car, i'll be going down the hybrid route, just wonna nail this problem and get to the bottom of it!

What makes you think you turbo is on its way out just because the actuator has failed/is failing?

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
well i don't think it's failing but wanted to rebuild the unit anyway , so if the actuator is failing might as well take the whole thing for piece of mind if you get me

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Never really seen to many actuator's failing, they can go soft alright, did u test the actuator properly to see what the preload is? Not holding boost in my own experience points to a leak or failing n75 or maf.

Last edited:

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
a weak actuator does struggle to hold boost but its probably not the cause, i had the same boost issue, after sorting all the pipes out, i got to a point where it boosted to 24psi then dropped right down to 12psi straight away. it turned out to be my N75 valve - another common issue.

id say get that checked out, its cheaper than replacing the actuator

jamie1

Sep 28, 2010
south east
Tried an n75 off a friends car over the weekend but still not holding boost. Am waiting on my pressure tester to turn up still, hopefully get this sorted soon its doing my head in!

Dvella

Hi Guys it's Daniel from Malta :) I have a 54 Reg Leon Cupra R 225 and somehow i'm getting an occasional similar problem. No boost gauge to monitor boost levels however what's happening is that occasionally (ABT 3 times so far in 3 months) the engine loses power. No engine light coming on, and engine keeps on running smooth but powerless. First i thought it was a sensor. Than reading some threads it looked like the wastegate / actuator was a possibility. But now reading above about an 'N75' sensor which to be honest i'm not familiar with. Any help / opinions? Thanks!

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
i think your's dvella is probably n75 related not actuator , my problem is alwys get boost but just irratic , comes in a out like you and lifting off throttle and commoming on it again but when your foot is actually planted

Dvella

thanks very much for your help seatcupramad23... And as i said the car gets powerless as if it got no turbo.... And if i may ask what is exactly an N75 fault?

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
n75 controls boost if its failed/failing will give you symptoms your having now , if you unplug it the car will only boost at actuator pressure 0.4bar

jamie1

Sep 28, 2010
south east
Right, bit of an update. Decided to tackle my boost problem again today.

Quick debrief:- intermittent boost, occasionally boosts to 1.4 bar and drops off very quick, other times, boosts to .9 bar and holds.

I changed a ko3s turbo for my friend not too long ago so i had a donor actuator which i know works perfectly as it held boost on his car so thought i would just swap them over quick and try it. well, not that quick to change so i found as one bolt is tucked up pretty well behind one of the turbo lines!

So i decided then to tweak my actuator slightly and stiffen it up. i wound the nut aound half a turn.

Now, on boost it will boost straight to 0.9 and spike to 1.4 and then drop off, every time.

Says to me its an actuator fault or does anyone else have any ideas?

Edit: have also had a new n75j valve on which made no difference.

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
Right, bit of an update. Decided to tackle my boost problem again today.

Quick debrief:- intermittent boost, occasionally boosts to 1.4 bar and drops off very quick, other times, boosts to .9 bar and holds.

I changed a ko3s turbo for my friend not too long ago so i had a donor actuator which i know works perfectly as it held boost on his car so thought i would just swap them over quick and try it. well, not that quick to change so i found as one bolt is tucked up pretty well behind one of the turbo lines!

So i decided then to tweak my actuator slightly and stiffen it up. i wound the nut aound half a turn.

Now, on boost it will boost straight to 0.9 and spike to 1.4 and then drop off, every time.

Says to me its an actuator fault or does anyone else have any ideas?

Edit: have also had a new n75j valve on which made no difference.

sound exactly like my car , whih i'm also pretty sure its actuator , and also now got a vacuum leak car idles slightly rough now

AmraizCupraR

Hii. Ive got a seat leon cupra r... Its been mapped and had a few upgrades. Im not sure exactly what they are as the mods had already been applied before i purchased the vehicle... The problem is when im on the motorway in 6th gear nd are around 50mph nd decide to accelerate quickly the turbo stops working... It will not reset until i connect a diagnostics machine nd clear the fault... The fault displayed has something to do with the actuator...

It runs perfect in every other condition. Its only when im on the motorway doing 40 50 mph nd decide to floor it..

Can somebody please help me

Cheers

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
I've often wondered about my actuator as when it was mapped they showed on the printout at higher rpm 5k> power starts to tail off got told the actuators go spongy with age never got round to fitting a new one but be interested to hear your results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sydemy9a.jpg

Last edited:

AmraizCupraR

Hi there. Thank you for replying... Sorry i should have mentioned this before

I had these codes come up...
P1555 charge pressure maximum limit exceeded
P1602 Power supply voltage terminal 30. Voltage to low
P1539 Clutch pedal switch f36 implaussable signal
P1176 Bank 1 025 lambda correction behind catalyst control reached

I dont understand if all these codes are linked up with one another... Or if they all seperate issues...
Ive only ever had p1555 the other 3 codes are new...?

Cheers