Tuning options Derv Vs Petrol

Randomman

Jan 11, 2007
There are a lot of threads on Derv vs petrol which seem to degrade into people stating that A is better than B, end of discussion.

But what I really want to know is what sort of money yields what sort of gains on the different engines. Any info welcome but what I would really like to know is how much (roughly) a normal stage 1,2 and 3 set up would be and also what power/torque it yields and what 0-60 (hell we all need some pub-talk!)

Any any experiences would also be welcome

(as per my previous post I'm still interested in both FR's and Cupra's so if its got a turbo POST!!!)

gazjones

stage one 20vt is slightly quicker than remapped tdi just but not much in it remapped cupra tdi might be roughly exactly the same i think, but you can take petrol further with the standard turbo to rough;y 230bhp 260ft lbs, this is probably as good as a stage 3 tdi with a bigger turbo, but to be honest you can say this is beter on this than that as every car is different so many options to go for. my opinion is you can get a bit more performance out of the petrol than the tdi as there is slightly more products out there ie stage two maps for the 20vt but only one for the tdi's, unless you go custom.
as you can probably tell my reply is going round in circles pretty much like what is better on what car

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
out of the 2,

it has to be the 20vt, as the engine has been used in so many applications and most of them being high performance cars, there seems to be a lot of options available. Plus America has a huge role to play. As in the states the Tdi is not very common, but the 1.8T is used loads ( and is seen as an economical motor) which means the american market also makes loads of options.

Of the 2 the 1.8T has the most options to go for as far as tuning, and due to this pound for pound you get more bhp for a 1.8T than you do the equivalent TDi. Esepcialy if you want to go beyond just the basic remap.

II have had both versions of the Mk4 ibiza and tuned both so have a bit of experience........

Although they bot don't provide as much tunability per £ as a certian 1.6 lump i can think of

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
Depends what sort of driving you do and how much mileage you do. Personally for everyday driving and motorways I prefer diesels as you generally have the grunt for overtaking and stuff and just is slightly more flexible. For proper b-road bashing though a petrol is far superiour.

mexicorich

Apr 17, 2006
Hartlepool
Unless you are going to really extreme power levels you will get pretty similar gains from remapping for pretty similar prices but the TDi will always retain a fuel consumption advantage when not being thrashed

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.