Tracking issue with Ibiza's? (knackering tyres)

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
2007-08-13Dodgytyre.jpg

Shiiit!

If I had adjustable suspension I'd blame that on too much negative camber (i.e. front wheels form an "A" shape when viewed from the front) but there's no way to adjust the camber on mine (standard SEAT suspension).

Any ideas folks?

Only had the car 3 weeks and just noticed this last night (I know, should've checked better...)

Cheers
Ally

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
Mine did this to its first set of tires! How many miles have you done?? Have heard that its due to various different things! Do a search, you will finds lots of threads on this subject mate! :(

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
mine does the same spose best bet is to get non directional tyres and swap them around to get the most out of all your tyres but sinse i put my coilovers on and ajusted the tracking at work it doesnt wear half as bad anymore or pull left that much!

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
I want to get mine done by a proper alignment place, where they can do camber, castor etc, etc! Nowhere near me that has the gear to do it all properly, just the usual laser alignment places!!! :(

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Cheers,

dozza - noticed your comments in another thread too, cheers.

Not sure how many miles have been done on this set of tyres (i've done about 900 miles in the past 3 weeks since collecting it though). It's currently on 25k miles on it's second set of Pirelli's according to the last owner.

I'm just debating what tyres to go for. I certainly won't be going down the coilover route again (not worth the expense for my driving) so don't think I'l be able to have much adjustment of the camber, etc. I didn't think much could be adjusted on a standard suspension set up?

cuprakel

Feb 10, 2006
Lanarkshire
Toyo T1R's or Proxes4's are both excellent in both the wet and the dry, and cheap if you go to the right place, Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's are also superb! I got mine off ere, cheapest place on tinterweb! VVVV

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s13p0

i ordered 4 T1R's from this place - £220ish based on advice from here! couldnt find them cheaper anywhere else, hopefully get them fitted at the weekend n give them a wee test!

Orcam0ng

Just a thought - have you got worn bushes on your front wishbone.

You may be getting that wear pattern due to excessive play during braking.

I had the same but to a lesser degree and took the opportunity to install poly bushes:)

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
dozza, cuprakel: that's where I'm looking, although I'm thinking about the Toyo Proxes 4's, possbily in 215/40/17 rather than the standard 205/40/17. Certainly the cheapest for Toyo's by a long way.

Orcam0ng: I'd hope not at only 25k miles, but I'll have it checked out when I'm getting the new tyres fitted and set up.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
All the cars that come into our work are like that, and unfortunately its down to the speedhumps round our way...we have them square ones with the sloped edges rather than the traditional one across the whole road type.

Nothing you can do about it, other than buy cheap tyres or avoid speedhumps.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
speed humps wont wear down tyres this much me thinks!!!! its the non ajustable camber caster settings only adjustment you can get on ibiza's are on the subframe bolts the lower arm bolts the strut to knuckle bolts and this is very limited tho

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Do you live in Northampton? Do you see the cars that come into my workshop? No, so you're not knocking my comments back!

Before the speedhumps were installed round here, we only had the odd car with uneven tyre wear, now we see it all the time. Two manufacturers I have worked for will refuse to pay warranty claims relating to uneven tyre wear for this very reason. We fit tyres and get them 4 wheel aligned and guess what...they're exactly the same in 12 months.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
so you mean the speed humps knock the wheel alignment out

no need to get all emotional and defensive im only stating my comment as we have loads of speed hump near where i work and i dont see this problem in my garage ;)

Phil__Arosa

My cupra fronts inside edges were bald after 14k with about 4mm left on the outside (apparently 14k is quite good compared to others on here). Seat obviously wont do anything under warranty, but I wrote a letter to show my disappointment.

So I just got the full Hunter geometry set up by Elite in Essex. Camber was well within tolerance (slightly negative on both sides) which I chose to leave alone as I didn't want to bring it in to zero camber. And the toe was also ok. In fact the toe was slighlty out on the tyre which was in better condition, so I had the toe brought into its limit on both sides.

I don't expect to get any better wear out of the new GSD3s but hopefully rotating front to back should help a bit this time.

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
I don't expect to get any better wear out of the new GSD3s but hopefully rotating front to back should help a bit this time.

I rotated front to back on my last set of tyres and still only managed to get a bout 12k miles out of them, that did include a few laps around the nurburgring tho!! :lol:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.