Track Rod!

moink10

Sep 27, 2008
Ludlow, Shropshire
hi people went to have my tracked today but guy said he couldnt do it due to not being able to move drivers side track rod. He said get that replaced and he will then be able to do it. I was wondering is this an easy job to do yourself or better to get a garage to do it? Also is it just the track rod end i need? coz there only like £7? cheers

twig

May 5, 2008
Guildford
Chances are it's either the locking nut or where the track rod meets the track rod end and I think you'll need the whole track rod (comes with new end too). I changed my driver side rod a couple of weeks ago. It was fairly easy but does require a big 32mm spanner to get the end near the steering rack off. However, I have heard of people having a lot of trouble getting the track rod end off.

My advice would be to get the wheel off and have a look at where the track rod meets the wheel hub. Take a wire brush to it, clean it up with some WD40 and see if it moves then. Just don't move it too much or you might end up putting your tracking further out.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Went to do my track rod ends today. The right hand unit is done, however the track rod end won't come off the track rod. Garage tomorrow methinks, it probably wants heating up with a torch to get it moving.

moink10

Sep 27, 2008
Ludlow, Shropshire
mine already been heated with a torch and he still couldnt get it off! had a look at it today gonna buy the track rod and end tomorrow, how much do you think it will cost roughly? thanks