TomTom One and Leon Cupra R

ianrawlins

Munch
Mar 21, 2005
Kent
Hi all,

Well my exceptionally kind family have just bought me a TomTom One for my birthday. It's a great bit of kit, but I have a few dilema's:

1) I would like the Gatso camera's but it seems like you have to pay for them now. I've checked the TomTom plus website and the pocketgpsworld and they both have a small monthly charge, but not sure which would best, or whether there's a better/cheaper alternative? TomTom PLus 27.00 pocketgpsworld 19.99?

2) harwiring the power - I've seen a couple of people say that there is a guide, but I can't find one. Ideally I would like to put it as tight as I can get it to the A pillar on the drivers side, conveniently above the fuse box!

3) Do maps from a different version of TomTom work on the TomTom one?

4) does anyone know the best/cheapest place to buy SD cards?

5) is the TomTom plus traffic update worth it? it's 41 quid plus the cost of getting the data via my mobile?

any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first look into the world of GPS.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I was lucky and (somewhere) i've downloaded the speedcam database when it was free - should be good enough for me, and only slightly out of date (month or so)
I've just got to find it - i know its here... lol

Any wiring etc you do - please show us with pics on here ;) I'm planning on getting a tomtom one very soon, and i need to install it along with my other kit (parrot handsfree) which i've gotta pick up from royal mail...

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I don't have a one, I have the PDA version, but:

1) I wouldn't pay TomTom for them, but I haven't got any experience of what theirs is like. I use http://checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl/ free software, free cameras - but they don't get checked so you get occasional false alarms and multi-cameras, but as a result the database gets updated very quickly (as the sync software is built in), camera sites aren't directional though, so you get warnings for cameras on the other side of the road. PocketGPSworld used to recommend checkpoint, and I'm always puzzled as to why they didn't join forces :confused:. If checkpoint doesn't work with the One, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the pocketgpsworld database.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77555

2) http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46793

3) Don't remember, but I do remember a discussion on pocketgpsworld.

4) Fleabay - go for a branded one though.

5) For me Traffic is one of the best bits. When it first started its reliability was dubious, but it's now really good. I do do lots of miles though...

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
i have a totom one hardwired into the centre of the dash and bought the alternative fitting kit for the airvents looks loads better in the middle.i just ran the wiring up behind the centre console.
The only part of the wiring i couldn't do was the plug for charger as i didn't want to take it all to bits
cuprardash1.jpg

Last edited:

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
P.s i bought a cd of ebay with all the gatso stuff on it.
Also had loads of new voices,splash screens and poi's on it was only a couple of quid

ianrawlins

Munch
Mar 21, 2005
Kent
Thanks all for some great information.

I've just harwired it and fitted it next to the A pillar. I took the cigarette lighter adaptor apart and soldered 2 new wires onto the PCB. I used that instead of buying a socket to wire in because I thought it would give a slightly neater result. All sealed and tied up in place it looks really neat and works brilliantly.

I managed to get a copy of the camera database FOC, but on reading several forums it meant that it was a bit out of date, which wasn't good enough for me. I know they don't change much, but I liked the idea of the regular updates.

just need to sort out the maps and the traffic updates. If anyone has any more views on the traffic updates, I'd be really glad to hear them.

Thanks all!

ferraris

I personally won't buy the Tomtom traffic service again. Too frequently the updates are out of date (ie. the jam's cleared but the warning's still there or there's a delay but no warning). I have Tomtom traffic and trafficmaster and trafficmaster is much more accurate, I won't be renewing my subscription to TT traffic.

SD cards - a reliable place I use is www.7dayshop.com. You just need a 512MB card which is about £10 plus postage (depends on how many maps you're going to use of course).

Maps are locked to individual tomtom units but I think can be registered to another unit after a certain number of months however never tried it. Maps from the other tomtoms will also work on the One I believe although you may need to be careful about older map versions.

I'd also recommend the pocketgpsworld camera database.

www.mytomtomgo.com is a useful place for unbiased TTG info.

Simon

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
ebuyer is doing 1gb sd card for £18

brodit do a active powered holder as well now

if you give me your email i will send you the gatso files.

ianrawlins

Munch
Mar 21, 2005
Kent
Thanks Leon Lad.
In the end I subscribed for the camera updates, to get the latest versions. They seem good, although I drove round past the m4 junction of the M25 and it didn't pick up the new variables round there. As I was doing 80 round there i couldn't jot down the coordinates. but I'm sure they'll appear in the next update. apart from that it han't missed on yet. I think thats the best price for the SD card, and I like ebuyer, so I'v ordered one of those. And I'll check out the brodit mounts.

Thanks all.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.