Tom Tom Traffic?

Dan123

Ok, I'm slowly getting to grips with the features on me new tom tom 920.. As I understand it, to receive the traffic updates via the tom tom i need to have a wireless data conncetion between my phone and the tom tom. But, There is also a yearly subscription available for 35 quid. If i pay this one of payment for the year, do i still need the wireless connnction between the tom tom and my phone when on a journey or is it all taken care of in the one off fee, will it automatically receive the updates without the need to connect to my phone?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it needs to download the (subscribed) updates from their website, through your phone.

beware, your GPRS bill (assuming you're billed per Mb) will rocket

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
If you get hold of an Orange PAYG sim card (not the 3G ones) you can top them up as normal, and for £1 you can have unlimited GPRS downloads between 00.01 and 23.59 that day.
You choose when you want to use that pound for that day, it's not a weekly or monthly obligation. Might find it a cheaper way of making use of it for long one off journeys, and you can monitor the cost easily ;)

danscho

you pay the one off fee which but you still need to have the connection between your phone as tom tom send the info to your phone then your phone bluetooth the info to the tom tom unit. i set my tom tom to update the travel info every 5 minutes but never had an increase on my bill. i suggest checking with your phone network provider for their charges, if your lucky it might just be included in your tariff like mine was.

the travel alert is a great thing, you made the right decision to have it. saved me loads of time avoiding qeue's.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I think you can also buy an RDS traffic receiver that plugs into the back of the TomTom units, it might work out cheaper in the long run.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.