Tom Tom One - Mounting in Altea

agynjo

Evening chaps.

The missus has bought me a Tom Tom One for Xmas. Got a while before I can open it, but it got me thinking......

Seeing as the Altea windscreen is a long way from the driver, making it hard to reach, I was wondering where else it could be mounted (and easily removed) ? I've seen the mounts for the air vents, but I'm not a fan of these (the missus used one for her mobile and scratched the trim).

Would it be possible to use the suction mounts to stick it to the top of the dash (above the stereo) ? Or would that take it too far away from the windscreen, meaning an external aerial is required ?

Any other ideas ?

mxcupra

Recall that I tried to stick it to the top of the dash but wouldn't stick firmly due to the texture of the surface. Sometimes I put it on the drivers side window(in the little triange) providing it's charged up or even just put it down by the cupholders(still seems to pick up signal from there) and listen to it.

I'm waiting for the mounting kit due out with the new altea xl which looks pretty neat.

adt

Satnav mounting

I use a small Garmin unit, no frills but good and accurate, I place it low down on the windscreen, to the right of the steering wheel. This means I don't let the road go out of my field of vision when I glance at the satnav, and also it does not obscure anything - the pillars do enough of that anyway! With the screen being deep in the Altea, it's also good because your eyes don't have to change focus (and thus take more time) when switching from distance, to looking at a satnav placed much closer to you.

Do consider safety when you decide where to put it - ever seen the big satnavs placed in the middle of windscreens under the r/view mirror, on a holder like an elephant's trunk? Sometimes these obliterate a big chunk of the road ahead to the driver and take the eyes completely away from the road.

Enjoy your satnav, nice Xmas present. Take it you've got the missus something nice too in return.......!!

arywe

a company called Brodit do a custom made mount for most makes of car which fit to various locations on the dashboard - My Tom Tom One is mounted just to the left of the radio

http://www.brodit.com/

Mike5

I have a Garmin Quest that has a suction cup mount. I stuck a circle of heavy duty self adhesive velcro (soft loop bit) just below the radio volume control. I cut out a pice of perspex plastic just slightly larger diameter than the suction cup and stuck the hard hook piece of velcro to this. I can now suction cup the GPS mount on the perspex and it is strong enough to support the unit and easy to remove. Another advantage no circle on screen to advertise to low life's, they probably will not work out what the velcro is for even if they did see it.

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
ebay usually has some mounting discs.

A circular disc, sticky on one side, smooth on the other. Stick it to the dash then use the tomtom mount on the smooth side.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members