TDI tyre choice - commuters choice

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
Having read many a post on the forum on tyres, i wish to re-invent the wheel.
I need to replace my front two tyres on my TDI SE (110) - I have looked around and found Continental Conti-Premium Contact - at Kwikfit £74/each, they sell as:
"Targeted at lower, upper medium and luxury vehicle categories
Asymmetric tread pattern
Higher mileage potential due to more even tread wear
Optimised wet weather performance and aquaplaning protection
Enhanced road performance "
total cost of £168.00 once they add on some balance and disposal.

I am looking for a product that will last 20K motorway driving while most importantly sticking to the road in wet and dry conditions. What tyres do commuters suggest to look at as options.

Thanks for the advice elsewhere that I should put the new tyres on the rear and use the worn on the front, therefore will be asking for this change.

timmahhhhhh

Apr 29, 2007
Leamington Spa
Firstly, I wouldn't go to kiwk-fit! What size tyres are they?

I get 20k out of tyres on my FR tdi so I would've thought that's an easy target for an SE. Definitely worth shopping round locally and looking at online prices.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
just had my 2 front changed as a bit bold and had got nearer 25k out of them
had continental contisport II
had them replaced by a set of dunlop as garage wasn't keen to let me drive in slicks, but not sure exactly what they are and probably overpriced as well at approx £125 a corner inc vat & fit & balance.

Would def shop around, but nothing really wrong with kwikfit - well i've never had a problem in the past

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
My Fronts are ready for changing after 18k of use, but thats because they did 11k on the rear, then swapped them to the front when i replaced 2 tyres.
The original fronts only lasted 11k but they were still very grippy and performed well, hence why i'm sticking with the same brand when i change them again.

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
My front Goodyear Eagle F1s have been on my car for around 15k. Still got between 2.5k and 5k left on them. Luckily I have a friend who's a tyre fitter so I get them at a good price. But I'd definitely recommend them for wet and dry grip :D

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
I had Kumho supras(over half way worn) when I bought the car then got rid after 10K got 2 Kumho SPT's for £90 of ebay(including p&p) then 10er fitting at a local garage. I dunno how to rate a tyre but the SPT's are wearing nicely but may be on the loud side not sure as I still have the supras on the rears after 20K they will be gone after this months MOT :(.

Going from worn to full tread tyres I can't really say if they are better only that they are better than very worn Kumho supras.

So i'm in the same position m8 I need some decent tyres but I want LESS noise!! and the traction isn't a big deal as it will slow me down.. ( think this is my biggest post yet!! Woo) :)

kerrbryan

Sep 30, 2005
Ayrshire, Scotland
I get close to 25k out my tyres on my FR Tdi. Opted for Barums!! Not quite budget but close. Have to say, really good 'all round tyre', no pun indended! tyreshopper.co.uk, was roughly 320 for 4 fitted. Still lasting well, had 15k out them!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I wouldnt say dont use kwik fit. What many people dont realise is you can negotiate prices with them as it is up to the managers discretion on what margin they make on the tyres. For example i got my F1's at £100 each fitted and balanced...on their computer they were £125 each!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
As your commuting alot i really wouldn't go for Goodyear Eagle F1's or Toyo's. I'd go for mile crunchers like Dunlops or Continentals that a little bit more hard wearing.

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
I am running Goodyear Excellence all round on my Tdi at the moment and they are a very comfortable tyre. Similiarly priced compared to GS-D3 but are lasting longer. I think wet grip is better than dry grip but they overall are not as good as the GS-D3s in terms of performance. More a touring tyre than high performance.

One thing about them is that they are very sensitive to tyre pressure. Over inflate, they don't grip well at all. Under inflate and they seem to have an obvious detrimental effect to fuel consumption.

I swapped a set that had covered 20K miles on the rear to the front. They seem to be putting up well.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I

One thing about them is that they are very sensitive to tyre pressure. Over inflate, they don't grip well at all. Under inflate and they seem to have an obvious detrimental effect to fuel consumption.

All tyres are the same.....
If they are over inflated, then less tyre is in contact with the road. Less contact= less grip.
Under inflated will cause more friction, slowing the car down quicker meaning the engine works harder to keep the speed constant, and you also hieghten the risk of a blow out.

jtmac

I had to change my fronts before I wanted to becasue one of the sidewalls got damaged.

I went for a Fulda Carat Progresso which had got a good write up in Which? onlne for 205 55 16V, They were the cheapest with excellent for wear, rolling resistance low noise and dry grip, good but not excellent in the wet.

I've found them to be good commuting tyres so far.

Not everyone has then in stock, I had to wait for them to be ordered. I was happier getting a cheaper tyre knowing the which? verdict. I might have chickened out and got a bigger name brand otherwise.

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
Have a look on www.tyre-shopper.co.uk

Fitted locally & price includes fitting, tyre disposal, balancing & new valves

Thanks! turns out my local is a National Tyre fitting centre, and at fraction of cost. Still doing my reserach, however im nearing the legal limit fast. Decision time around this weekend.

my tyre size are standards for the leon 195/65/15
Looking at these options at present, and all are similar (i think)
Pirelli P6000 Powegy
Continental Conti-Premium Contact
Continental Conti-Eco
Michelin Energy 3a

DodgyDave

May 15, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
If you are looking at cost as the main factor, then safety (wet weather), with little on performance i would be tempted to ......

Go to quickfit and get the cheapest "own-brand" they do, as it's own-brand they come with full insurance for damage, so if you get a nail in the sidewall they will get changed. also come with free puncture repairs for the lifetime of the tyre.

Not sure on that size but would think around £60 a corner fitted should do it.

Dave

charles_altea

I've got Continental ContiSport Contact 2 on my fronts and they're wearing well. Never had any "moments" with them when hard braking required in wet or dry conditions.

Try www.BlackCircles.com to get a good idea of prices, and don't be afraid to take a print-out into your local tyre fitter and ask them to match it. Most will manage to, but last time I asked for a quote from Kwik Fit using this technique there was much head scratching before he said "the best I can do is to get within £5". Sorry, do they want my business or not?

EVO magazine had a good article on tyres this month, with a range of proper tests (e.g. dry braking, wet braking, etc). Sadly the Goodyear which came out top is not available in more modest sizes else I would be shopping for these.

I have Michelin Energy on the rear of my car, and after 25000 miles they're half way worn. But remember, there is a trade-off between hard wearing and grip levels. I think as a general characteristic Michelins seem to wear really well, but as Evo showed, there are many tyres offering better grip.

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
Cost is not a factor, obviously I like a good deal - but i want quality that will last. I appreciate that there is a trade-off between harder compound and grip, but im looking for the perfect tyre for motorway driving I am looking at max 25K a year and having heard of tyres replaced after 10K, such tyres have no interest to me. (premium softer toyo and goodyear) therefore why I'm giving so much thought.

I dont want a tyre that will be an eraser on an artists sketch pad. but I dont want a tyre that will sacrifice safety and grip for longevity. I bought the car with (i think) cheapos on, so im hoping for much improvement on grip, but lasting 25K (on front)

I will ask my local independent garage to how much he charges for fitting costs and investigate blackcircles.