tappet rattle! Arrghh!

deanrankin85

Nov 28, 2006
Stoke-On-Trent
i did an oil change on saturday with genuine filter and 10w 40 synta oil and immedately after it developed a tappet rattle! its god damn annoying!

ive tried a flush and another oil change with 5w 30 this time and its still there! ive been on a 200mile run and it still hasnt gone!

anyone else had this problem?

i dont fancy takin the rocker off n cams out and replacing the hydraulic liftes! :(
im already ready busy with my other engine!

could i be loosing oil pressure somewhere?
gona get the pressure checked at the weekend!

cheers

deanrankin85

Nov 28, 2006
Stoke-On-Trent
well it just seems funny how it immediatley started after an oil change! as i said it did it before with a non-genuine filter and when i replaced it with a genuine it stopped and this is the same noise! im presuming its a lifter!

is the cam chain a common problem?

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
The lighter weight oil may have made it louder whereas a thicker oil would hide it. I know my cam chain ticks quite loudly, i can hear mine under the r/h side of the rocker cover. I doubt its anything to worry about though tbh mate.

Nice XE on TB's in your avatar btw. I used to drive Vauxhalls myself, last car was a mint Astra GSI.

deanrankin85

Nov 28, 2006
Stoke-On-Trent
cheers beaker! just putting another bottom end in my corsa, it flys with the redtop on tbs in it! lol
RR'd at 190bhp! its enough!

its definately not the injectors, i know that they tick.

its strange how it started to tap after the oil change! its just annoying! i take the rocker off and cams out and check the lifters! pain in the arse!

thanx!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members