Suspension Bushes - life expectancy?

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
My Cupra has just had its 4th birthday... and whilst it only has a paltry 34k on the clock, i guess it hasnt had the easiest of lives, having barely ever seen a motorway or long run, constantly being driven on shoddy inner city roads.

Now, i cant really expect my car to be comfy, and never really was fussed about it... i have Eibach Springs, Eibach Dampers, a rear Neuspeed ARB, and now 18's... so its probably asking a lot.

But, its exceptionally harsh and jittery... it really does bang and crash at every opportunity and pebble in sight.

Anyone have a similar setup?

What life do the standard bushes normally get to before they need changing? Is there any real way to check that its them causing the brashness before i shell out? And i'd take it that Powerflex would be the way to go?

Cheers!!

Jun 28, 2001
because of the setup youve got your looking at 40 -45 k before they totally go
on standard car (ie toledo mk 1 1y taxi) we used to change them every 50 k

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
I'm running Eibach springs with Koni shocks on 17's, doing mostly country lanes and ropey local roads with the odd motorway trip. When I had the springs, shocks & 17's fitted (at 35k) I had the lower arms changed as well due to bush wear (spotted by an AA report). Now on 72k and reckon I'll do the same again, probably put new ball joints on as well, this was all commented on at the last MOT,I'm sure a local garage would be able to check them for you for the cost of a pint or two.

I guess your 18's and the rear ARB are gonna give you a harsher ride than mine and seeing as that doesn't bother you I guess Powerflex would be your choice. I've never tried them so couldn't comment but there's plenty of guys on here who have.

My only reservations with Poly bushes would be a harsher ride and, so I've been told, when they wear out there is very little warning when they fail, whereas OEM style rubber ones just get to a point where they're a bit loose and rattley and you can live with them for a little while. I'll just put my tin hat on.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise