Stock boost for 1.8t Cupra, and will a Stage 1 map turn off CEL for a Decat?

cobblers

Oct 4, 2014
Ayeup! I've recently bought a 1.8t Cupra and the thing was advertised as being remapped to stage 1, and in the history there is a dyno printout claiming 197bhp at the fly, but something like that is easily fudgeable. There is no receipt for a remap so I presumed it hasn't had one done, and I'm unsure if there's a way to find out if it has? I have VCDS litt.
It goes quite well and is reassuringly bad on fuel (26mpg over the last 1500 miles :( ) so I fitted a boost gauge and I'm seeing 17psi peak, about holding about 13/14. Interestingly, it peaks at 28psi according to Torque on my phone, but I presume this is measured without subtracting atmospheric 14.7?

Secondly, I've just fitted a Magnex cat back exhaust, but after cutting the OE system in half to get it off I found the magnex needed an adaptor to fit over the stock cat (it's about 1/2" too big diameter) It's bodged on for now using the old sleeve joint as a bush and about half a litre of exhaust paste, but Magnex say they will send me an adapter sleeve or will do me a really good deal on a decat downpipe instead which will bolt right up and supposedly free up a few HP and hopefully give me a little bit more noise, as the magnex exhaust seems to be just as quiet as the stock one.

I understand that the decat will usually bring the CEL on repeatedly, which would really annoy me, but I read that most remaps will alter the thresholds for the 2nd lambda so that it won't illuminate in this case.

Please bear with me if I'm asking stupid questions - I've only had the car a month or so, turbos are all a bit new to me. I'm used to Mk3 Golfs and T3 campers!

Last edited:

Marcus_550

Feb 7, 2013
Stockton On Tees
Stock on my mk4 cupra was highest 0.6 bar before map, I'm now on 1.1 bar and trails off to 1 bar so no noticeable drop, torque app says its 223 bhp stage 2, its not slow but more was put into fueling and what not as pose to just ramping the boost up, think most are 1.4 bar peek, regards to decat i had one on ages before map and just installed a spacer in the lambda sensor and iv had no light on don't even no if it was mapped out cos its never came on

cobblers

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks Marcus, so it looks as though it probably is mapped after all. I've gone for the decat, I'll try one of the extenders if I get a light on .

cobblers

Oct 4, 2014
Well, I put the decat on and no warning light so far, after about 100. It sounds much better, and seems to build boost a little more readily.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members