ST FR 184 manual shuddering and feeling like engine will cut out

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
Hi all,

I've always had the noticeable 'stutter' when lifting off the accelerator at around 1500 rpm, usually at low speeds and usually downhill, like others have said.

However yesterday, on the M23 in the 50mph limit through the roadworks, with cruise set to 51mph, it started doing it constantly. After 2-3 seconds I took the cruise off and pulled into inside lane as it felt like the engine was going to die. Changed down a gear, and it was fine. Odd.

Then, later in the same journey, it did it again at 72mph. I left cruise on that time, just to see, and it just kept doing it until I cancelled cruise and dropped a gear. Quite unnerving as the whole car shakes and feels like the engine will cut - it's as if it's only firing on two cylinders.

I had it twice more on my return journey - both times at speed.

It's possible it's the same thing as the 'shudder' when lifting off the accelerator, but I've never experienced it at those speeds before.

No warnings or lights on the dashboard, and otherwise everything seems normal - except I've started getting a 'crack' noise every time I come off a large speed bump (even at a very slow speed) over the last couple of weeks.

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas what it may be? No time to get to a dealer this week but guess I'll be headed there next week...

Cheers.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have an ST FR184 aswell. I quite often drive on the M6 which has alot of 50mph limits, and with my cruise set at 52mph and in fifth gear, I don't have any of the problems you mention.

Reactions: X3RN

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
Cheers Bendy. I didn't have the severe problems until yesterday either (mine's nearly 3 years old). It's done it again this morning too, plus driving in traffic I keep getting a 'surge' of power to the throttle as if I've floored it. Quite dangerous! Trip to dealer next week I think...

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
Just reviving an old post with the answer I got. Car went in to dealer as was due a service, and they couldn't find anything wrong and no error codes logged. It hasn't misbehaved quite so badly recently, other than a couple of days ago again when cruise control was on, and only a small amount of power was being called for, around 1500rpm.

Again - it kept doing it, until I cancelled cruise control and demanded a bit more power from the engine (ie, put foot on accelerator). I think it's a 'feature' of the 184 engine mappings as others have said on here.

Focussing on my new FR Sport 190 which is arriving soon!

Reactions: Speedbird