split rims

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
Hey guys,

I remember reading somewhere about someone who made split rims from one-piece alloys, can't for the life of me remember where or even if i just dreamt it :blink:
anyone know anything about this?
any help appreciated! :D

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Not quite the same thing, but along similar lines... There's a process known as "banding" which basically involves cutting a wheel in half between the rims, adding a band of material and then welding it all back together to make a wheel wider. It's been a while since I've come across it but IIRC:
1) you can't legally buy or fabricate banded wheels in the UK, but some european countries still allow them.
2) you can legally use banded wheels sourced from mainland europe in the UK.

Generally only done with steel wheels though. And personally, I think it's a bit barmy.

Mat

banded wheels seem to be a big thing with a lot of the earlier VW owners after the "euro" look!

along with stretched tyres too!

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
Theres a guy I know who does it. Says he can't be bothered anymore as its too much hassle! But it can be done dependant on the wheel. Just have to find a lip to fit and can make them into 2piece splits.

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Probably should have mentioned in my earlier post... Banded wheels may well be wider but in most cases, the extra width will be added to the inside of the wheel. So you get a bigger negative offset. So the wheel will sit further into the arch. Obviously you can use spacers to stand the wheel off from the hub, but it's not ideal...

And going back to the original Q - any particular reason *why* you want split rims?