So I've decided to keep my GTI......

f1nn

Aug 20, 2006
After buying it as a cheapish mile muncher about 6 months ago, I've grown qite attached to the little orange lump.

So, I'm going to keep it and run it alongside the company car thats arriving shortly.

But theres a few things I want to do along the way.

1. Where can I get a set of the red plug leads fitted to the later cupras? And what sort of price.

2. I want to remove the inlet mani and cam covers to get them powdercoated, how many gaskets will I need to replace, and is there any other problems I might run into when doing this?

3. I want to change my current ronals for some mk3 cupra rims to, try and modernise the car a little, are the wheel nuts the same?

4 Is there absolutley no off the shelf exhaust manifold available for the rhd 2.0 16v?

5. Quickshift, I find the long sloppy throw a shame, is there a modified mechanism available and has anyone got any experience of it?

6. The most important, suspension. I am really dissopointed with the way these cars handle, I need to sharpen up turn in and the way the car responds generally, It rolls far to much on the entry phase of a corner. I know coil overs are an option, but I feel I would be paying for something that I would never adjust, and want to keep a decent, supple ride quality. What would people suggest?

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
RED HT LEADS
youll only be able to get the red plug leads from a dealer i reckon, and thats even if they still do them.
Otherwise you could look for some 'performance' HT leads, these you could probably get in red but youll pay a lot more than a standard black set.

QUICK SHIFT
B+M Shifters BM-E45106 B&M Quick Shift Kit Ibiza (inc. Cupra) 1993-1998 £128.01
http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/framefix.asp?ProductCode=BM-E45106&PID=144426

EXHAUST MANIFOLD
Ibiza Cupra 2.0i 16v
£350.00
http://www.impossible-performance.cwc.net/ibiza-exhaust.htm
(Whether or not this is for your actual car id phone up and check first)

SUSPENSION
http://www.2modified.com/-c-23_1565.html
(have a look through there, they are site sponsors, and will price match if you find the same cheaper i do believe. Id say you were after matched shocks and springs if you dont want coilovers)
http://www.pi-suspension.co.uk/p1320133.htm (another option)

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
rocker cover has a 2 piece gasket but watch out there is 2 types - one smooth and one with lumps in - smooth one i found only dealers could supply

manifold has a paper gasket between both the top section and the lower and lower to the head - both about £3 tops but with the leads guide on you can hardly see the lower one

oooh forgot - gasket onto the throttle body too but all beer money

piccies - click next to see the manifold in parts

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
manifold looks awesome
photo01618vb.jpg

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
1. Red leads.... I tryed the dealer they didnt have a clue, so brought some Megaleads for £70 I think from Venom Motorsport.

2. Been answered for you

3. Been answered

4. TSR did make one for the rhd Ibiza 16v but they have now closed so keep an eye out for a second hand one. I know a company called Top Gear did a copy of it and was £100 cheaper, saw that on eBay a while ago but try emailing them.

If there's no luck with them then you could always go to a local custom exhaust company like Longlife or Powerflow. Or get in contact with a custom racing exhaust companies like Simpsons Exhaust or Tube Torque.

The Supersprint one will not fit as it's only for the lhd model.

5. The B&M quick shift, I got one myself..... All I can say is GET ONE!!!!

6. I got coilovers myself and so have many people on here have to, if you don't fancy them then can always go for a 40 or 60 drop on springs and shocks and there's plenty to pick them there.

Another thing to improve the handling is an uprated anti roll bar, 15mm rear spacers, strut brace.

I have recently fitted a front strut brace and eibach 15mm rear spacers and the handling is better than ever, just would like an uprated anti roll bar now.

f1nn

Aug 20, 2006
Theres a company called top gear exhausts which sell their own brand of exhaust manifolds, but they only list one for the golf mk3 16v? I take it that this one wont mount to the std exhaust on an Ibiza?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Theres a company called top gear exhausts which sell their own brand of exhaust manifolds, but they only list one for the golf mk3 16v? I take it that this one wont mount to the std exhaust on an Ibiza?

the mk3 manifold (std) fits the ibiza - got one on mine

but then thats just the cast short part

edc

Blue Leather & Shiny Bits
Feb 8, 2002
Surrey
www.clairecoileytrust.com
6. The most important, suspension. I am really dissopointed with the way these cars handle, I need to sharpen up turn in and the way the car responds generally, It rolls far to much on the entry phase of a corner. I know coil overs are an option, but I feel I would be paying for something that I would never adjust, and want to keep a decent, supple ride quality. What would people suggest?

Try rear anti-roll bar

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.