Smooth idle, but total loss of power after loud bang while driving

Oct 2, 2023
Hi everyone, the car in question is an Altea 1.9 TDI (BJB). After having it towed home and spending two days looking at the bonnet and Googling at the same time, but I couldn’t find anything the matches perfectly.

I was driving on a back road at low speed and revs when I heard a loud bang from the front left of the car. I pulled over immediately, but I can’t remember if it stalled or if I turned the engine off. Started the engine again it idles smoothly, it may be a bit louder like it has a blowout.

When I tried to move the car to a safe spot it immediately stalled upon releasing the clutch. When I started the engine again and tried again with applying more revs, the car barely moved and there was (if I recall right) black/grey smoke coming out of the exhaust. The car was towed home after that.

Tried to start again and look for solutions. The smoke is gone, the car is able to crawl forward and reverse with partially released clutch. Once I release the clutch fully it stalls. Still idles smoothly, no fault codes stored. I inspected the boost pipe and the lower pipe going into the intercooler in place. Both looked and felt intact. Will have a closer look tomorrow after I purchased a trolley jack and an axle stand.

The complete clutch kit including DMF and slave cylinder was replaced two months ago with Valeo parts.

Would you have any ideas or pointers what could be the issue? Thanks in advance.

Oct 2, 2023
One of the pipes blew off the intercooler's joints at the bottom. One of the previous owners or their MacGyver award winning mechanic solved the broken clip with the help of something that looks like epoxy. I can't push the pipe back, there is probably some glue dislodged there.

Ordered Gates replacement parts (pipe and clips), hopefully these will fix it.