Short journeys - damage car or myth?

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Hey folks;

Something i've always wondered, let's say, you worked, 5 minutes down the road, but not the best walking route due to no path / main road etc! Obviously weather at the moment as well...

Would driving there, and back every day cause damage to the engine/car? Not ragging it or anything like that, literally starting up, driving a minute or two, and parking up.

Not on boost - the whole way below 2.5k revs etc...

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Na i dont think the engine would get damaged really. Only thing i find with the cupras is that they tend yo drink abit of petrol when cold. My mpg usually suffers if im only popping round the corner to a mates house and it doesnt get the chance to warm up properly.

Danneh

Yes, short journeys constantly without letting the engine warm up are bad for the engine! If the car rarely ever gets to running temperature and does not have a good run, can be very damaging over a period.

Probably town/city driving driving too = more wear again.

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
It's not great for oil as it doesn't get the chance to warm to optimum performance (yellow gunk on inside of cap) could potentially cause a knock-on effect over a period of time?

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Add to this though, that would only be say Monday-Friday but amidst all that the car would still have a good run of say 50-100 miles a week on top of that...

I don't fancy doing it, but the work route has got me soaked recently (trying to dodge cars driving in puddles is bad enough, but sometimes there is no choice as the roads are narrow and busy!)

Danneh

Still damaging for 5 days. I would let it idle for 5-10 minutes to get the engine warmed up more if your worried, or going to be doin this on a regular basis.

cold oil and water, condensation, not enough lubrication etc..

Danneh

I always thought idling the car was bad? When people do it of a snowy morning etc... Im wrong! lol!

You should always idle and let your car warm up on a cold morning! Everything can be very cold, such as the oil. Lubrication will be at its lowest. Driving off from a cold start is one of the most damaging things you can do.

Very cold mornings 15 minute idle. Get in near/onto running temperature, then drive carefully for a few miles. You will maximize engine life considerably.

The car has a set optimum running temperature for a reason. Protects the engine and makes it perform at it's best without much, if any at all negative affects.

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Thats cool, thanks for this info guys appreciate it.

In terms of general driving, I drive like a granny anyway lol I used to have a Punto GT and fitted an oil temp gauge, so I used to see how long it took for oil to reach optimum temperature - takes ages!!! So now I barely boost on 10 min journeys :D

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Its nice to know you have the poooooowaaaaa there under your foot if you need it or if some jumped up 18year old in a saxo tries it on! Foot down... adious mr saxo :laser:

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
One of the worst things about short journeys is that the engine does not warm up quickly enough. This means that the oil isn't warm and it is therefore more viscous (thick). Because of this it cant distribute itself effectively leading to a loss of engine lubrication and premature engine wear. Also fuel efficiency is reduced because (as Danneh says) the engine is not at it's optimum temperature so the fuel doesn't burn as efficiently.

On another note (a more or less serious one depending on your viewpoint), the catalytic convertor needs to be HOT for it's chemical reactions to take place, if the engine isn't warm then you can bet the exhuast system isn't, meaning the Cat isn't doing its job (Thats if you have one!)

Warm up your car! :)

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
what about general strength of the engine how do they fair for going to the redline in evry gear all the time (one its up to temp) what are the chances of it letting go if you drive flat out evrywhere.?

Dec 31, 2005
London
lol my car doesnt boost earlier than 3.5 / 4k anyway and then it goes mental so definitely have to wait for the oil to warm up!

I try not to do lots of consecutive short journeys but sometimes its neccesary, why have a car and walk!

turbo009

Red Lightning
Jun 15, 2008
Grimsby North East Lincs
true my car the same don't boost till 3.5k and never go over 3k until my engine temp at 90. Some people make me laugh when you see them thrash there cars from cold,guess they will learn tho in long run.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise