• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

security issue

lorne

This is the first i've known of a security issue with the leon after reading about it on another site....for obvious reasons this is hard to talk about, but if people know what i'm on about, is this a really big problem and should I get it sorted????

Thanks in advance

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Assuming it's the same one i think it is...

if you live in a dodgy area, or park it in one, then yes.
Nobody's going to talk about it though.

I've sorted mine out - it's cheap to do, about 10mins work to do it.

And its not just leons, its a LOT of VAG cars.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
I've not had any problems within 2 1/2 years of ownership and its very rare you do hear of the problem. Although it has happened a couple of times in the past.

They cant steal the car without the key, there is no way of bypassing the immobiliser so they'll just pinch things within the car, ie cd player. Is it really worth the hassle to a thief just for the sake of a cd player?

Although i do remember a case where the thief entered the car, found the locking wheel nut and pinched all 4wheels leaving the owner to find his car ramped on bricks in the morning:blink:

But to the opportunist thief, are they really going to stick around for 45mins stealing your wheels? Its happened once or twice i think but they were parked in dark carparks overnight, not on the street outside their house!

I wouldn't worry about it though, if a thief wants in your car, he'll get in!

Awaiting the panic now from all the newbie leon owners wondering what the fuc* this security issue is:D

Last edited:

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
As Mitchy said, really.. if a Nut wants your car bad enough, he'l get it, even if he has to 'Jack' you , or enter your house to get the keys..
so
IF you feel its an issue , Get it done , for *peace of minds sake *
if NOT ...., Carry on :)

LEON_FR

Rich Full Member
Jul 9, 2005
Stoke on Trent
Ah found it...
not a lot can be done about it really... Mind like you mentioned if someone wants it bad enough, they gonna have it.

russbate

Main problem near us is the theiving scum bags will just break down your door for the keys, whether your in or not!

lorne

err yea sorry to get ppl worried lol...hence why i didnt mention exactly what it was.
totally agree with the point of if they want it they'll get it....just didnt imagine it being so easy.
but hey i suppose there are bonuses, and if someone's girlfriend has got one of those stupid yappy dogs, if you leave it in the car, maybe you'll be fortunate one day and find it missing when you get back!

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
It's been fixed on the Mk2 Leons I hear - I've not had any trouble in 2 years of ownership.

I've got the kit to do it as well, but I can't really be arsed relocating the fuse.....

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
I just replaced it and relocated the fuse, the windows have anti grab window film on them, with the alarms and tracker... well i think thats as far as i can secure the car.... any more than that and well i'll be using weapons to protect the car... seems to work the provisions so far, so touch wood... its ok..