Securing a nomad piller better

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
The top end of the pillar seems to pull away creating a gap when secured with the velcro. Initially it was pulling the velcro actually off the metal pillar but now because the gap from pillar to metal pillar is slightly too large the velcro just pulls away.

I have 3-4 strips up the metal pillar inbetween the yellow clips with a small piece right at the top. You'd think for the price you pay for the nomad it'd have clips like the oem unit!!

Cheers

Dom

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
Don't remind me i am very pi$$ed off with the nomad pod I bought. I live in Saudi Arabia and the glue on the velcro back melts in the daytime heat, plus the gauges I have did not fit in as the pod was not deep enough.

I was very unhappy with the nomad pod personally. Even the gauge openings were not perfectly round.

A piece of crap for a lot of money

The Mk.4 Golf 42 draft designs pod I have now is miles better. A plastic pod finished with the same fabric used in the headliner (i don't know if they make black ones for the LCR, though)

It did need a bit of cutting but it was very easy and now fits perfectly onto the stock A-pillar.

You can remove the yellow clips though by rotating them 90 degrees. It will allow the nomad pillar to fit better.

Last edited:

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
The pillar itself is ok but is way, way overpriced for what it is. Quality of the pods round the guages isn't wonderful and no clips to secure it. Having to stick it on with velcro is extremely poor.

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
But the pillar is a good 5-10mm away from the metal as it tucks over the headlining.

Dozer

Jul 2, 2005
Birmingham
You guys are right..for the price you pay the fitting and the quality of finish around the pod is poor :thumbd:

I have tried the valcro supplied..more valcro..double sided tape..sticky foam..etc to get mine to fit right, and they all failed. In the end I chopped the plastic clips off the old pillar and stuck them to the nomad pillar..took a couple of hours but the fit is spot on now, and it doesnt keeps pulling away !!

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
My velcro kept coming away on the plastic of the pillar, I have now attached with superglue and as the velcro on the car is stuck ok its not come off once since.

ice maiden

lol....mine were fitted at the weekend, got to the car this morning and whole top part has fallen off.....not impressed!

PlatinumR

Arrived and lovin it!!
Jul 23, 2004
Shoreham-by-Sea
I stuck my velcro on with a bit of carpet spray glue, left it overnight then squeezed together - no probs here.

I know what you mean about the pod size, i had to modify my gauge bracket because of the limited space inside.

Do you have a single or double? Mines a double and it has a bit of spring to it at the top, maybe the singles suffer more?

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
PlatinumR said:
I stuck my velcro on with a bit of carpet spray glue, left it overnight then squeezed together - no probs here.

I know what you mean about the pod size, i had to modify my gauge bracket because of the limited space inside.

Do you have a single or double? Mines a double and it has a bit of spring to it at the top, maybe the singles suffer more?

I have a double pod but I have a boost gauge where the nylon pipe fits in the back. The gauge is a regular VDO gauge its not overly deep. Even the voltage gauge would not fit at it had a sleeve type lock which i could not screw all the way in.

I'm sure any "clip on" type gauge pod would be better. they don't look that bad anyway - mine looks like this:

lhd2.jpg

lhd3.jpg

chubbs

Nov 14, 2001
waterlooville
Visit site
what i did on mine was to take all the valco off and use blobs of clear silacone low mod sealent as used around windows . open the window and g cramp the pod to the car i put a cloth between the cramp and paint work you don't need a lot of presure to get it to fitt like the original one . Then i left it over night to go off and then it fitts perfect and if i need to i can take it off with no damage

Andi

Back in Black
Mar 5, 2006
Inverness
Not had a prob with mine, but never came with velcro so i just bonded it on with black silicone and it sits perfect. :D

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
Right that's it I've had enough. Tried glueing the velcro on several times, tried sticking the pillar on with silicone, no joy.

Getting really rather annoyed now. It's rediculous it doesn;t come with clips like the oem, particularly at the extortionate price they sell em for. Not impressed atall.

Oct 12, 2005
No problems with mine so far and its stuck on with velcro. Doesnt fit perfect but its only a small gap and i can live with it!

PlatinumR

Arrived and lovin it!!
Jul 23, 2004
Shoreham-by-Sea
speedsix you haven't got your boost pipe or cabling trapped behind part of it at the base have you causing it to twist ?
I taped all mine into the middle of the pillar to make sure it fitted flush. Just another suggestion.

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
I have the velcro running vertically up the cars pillar and folded round the edge so it makes contact up the inside edge. it just keeps pulling the velcro from either the nomad or the pillar.

I'll have another look for pipes trapped etc.

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
ok, what you need to do is this :

cut off the clip holders from the original a piller trim and glue them in the same place onto the nomad piller. its the only way to get it to properly fit. the velcro is crap and as said comes away at the top. if you leave it, it will pull away further down aswell.
Mine seemed 10mm to short aswell but since ive used the proper fixings as described above,its great.
mark

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
Well it's on with the velcro but there's a small gap at the top.

I will give that a go copra.

I did think about putting a v small self tapper into the nomad right at the top, hidden underneath the window rubber.

How difficult would it be for nomad to put the 'effin clips on like the oem pillar!?:censored:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise