seat newb advice...

jonboy_ibiza

pick up my 03 plate 1.2 ibiza on thurs and just wanting to get a few bits of advice and details on how to maintain it and maybe even modify it.

its done 24,000 miles, thought it was not bad for £3700(could be wrong)

the 'insp' sign comes on when i started it up, is this a problem? anything to do with service?

what type of oil would every1 recommend for it?

what size of alloys are best? pcd, offset etc?

what kind of air filter or induction kit would be best?

any common problems i should look out for?

Sorry to be a pain in the ass but just curious as i dont have a clue yet till i get a detailed look around it.

any feedback appreciated.

cheers, john [B)]

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the site mate! :D

Castrol GTX is supposed to be quite good, might be wasted on a 1.2 but helps protect engine, or any usual vw stuff is fine.

Best alloys are 16's or 17's, offset no more than 42 iirc, mine are 38 I think...

5x100 et 38 (what it says on the back)

K & N or Green replacement panel filters or an enclosed air filter/cold air induction from Viper/K&N etc etc

Think coil packs or something are bits to look out for, check the FAQ section!

Has it just had service? If not it needs one, if yes the inspection light hasn't been reset.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
pick up my 03 plate 1.2 ibiza on thurs and just wanting to get a few bits of advice and details on how to maintain it and maybe even modify it.

its done 24,000 miles, thought it was not bad for £3700(could be wrong)

That's about it money - so yeah not bad

the 'insp' sign comes on when i started it up, is this a problem? anything to do with service?

This could mean a service is overdue or simply that the service reminder has not been reset - instructions on resetting the light are in the manual and its probably worth checking when the car was last serviced.

what type of oil would every1 recommend for it?

There is a VW specific oil recommended for the car

what size of alloys are best? pcd, offset etc?

No bigger than 17's unless you want to knock all your teeth out!! PCD 5x100 ET 38 (I think)

what kind of air filter or induction kit would be best?

Green panel filter is a good mod if you don't want to remove the engine cover otherwise take your pick!

any common problems i should look out for?

timing chain tensioner can fail causing the chain to jump. Coilpacks have been known to fail prematurely

Sorry to be a pain in the ass but just curious as i dont have a clue yet till i get a detailed look around it.

any feedback appreciated.

cheers, john

More info on all of this can be found by using the search feature as its all quite commonly asked :)

gazjones

yep timing and coilpacks are only realy problems. some people have had starter motor cable snap, but thats about it, insp easily turned/ reset, just check last service time and milage as it may need one

Poverty

They do induction kits for the non 1.8T's? Ive never seen anyway specifically made for the 1.2/1.4 when I looked!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
send badger a private message and he will be more than happy to assist you mate jbs also sell this part too im sure

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members