SEAT Leon FR 2.0 TSI Automatic DSG (2019) - whining and a ticking noise

Sep 20, 2024
Hello guys, I’m wondering if anybody here would be willing to shed some light on a couple of noises my car (detailed in title) has started to present me with. I’ll try to attach an audio recording of it here.
For information, I’ve recently purchased this car with 59,000 miles on the clock and a 6-month warranty but I wanted some experienced peoples opinions before hassling the SEAT garage with this stuff.

The first one can be found here which I would describe as a sort of ticking/belty noise, it can only be heard from inside of the car, for some reason the car sounds completely fine on the outside(?) - https://youtube.com/shorts/b-txrF3GICk?si=HJdTbKZvrvaWAgbe

The second noise can be found here which I don’t know how to describe but you’re listening out for a whining/charging type of noise, it sounds like a faint frrrrrrr which builds up with revs and quietens down with gear changes (the car is automatic dual-shift transmission). - https://youtube.com/shorts/L8_0xv5xEwA?si=519m6mLYTK9bUAz7

Thank you and hopefully somebody will be able to shed some light for me 😬

Jul 6, 2024
I think my car makes both those noises! That first one sounds like a rhythmic wrommp wrommp noise? Does yours go away when you turn on the air con? Because mine does. Also noticed it only does it when the car is started when the engine is still warm.

The second one mine also does and others seem to have it (from the other thread), seems pretty normal.

Reactions: Kiann_019
Sep 20, 2024
Yes! It’s a wromp wromp noise exactly that thank you ahah! It turns off when I turn on the aircon as well and it certainly does do this noise when the engine is still warm so that makes a lot of sense to me it sounds like potentially a serpentine belt (maybe not a faulty one if everybody else seems to have the same wromp wromp noise).

And the whining/charging-ish noise… I think that’s normal but I just wanted to check I honestly don’t know and I have a really, really bad luck with cars 😂

Jul 6, 2024
What I don't understand is how the noise goes when everything is up to temp, need to do a bit more investigation next time It does it! I'm also slightly relieved it's not just mine that does it 😂

Yeah I've been curious as to what the whine noise is since I got the car. Again, I'm glad it seems to be a common thing.

Mine is still under warranty like yours so still have a while to see anything develops.

• Haha
Reactions: Kiann_019
Sep 20, 2024
What I don't understand is how the noise goes when everything is up to temp, need to do a bit more investigation next time It does it! I'm also slightly relieved it's not just mine that does it 😂

Yeah I've been curious as to what the whine noise is since I got the car. Again, I'm glad it seems to be a common thing.

Mine is still under warranty like yours so still have a while to see anything develops.
Yes, I am slightly relieved now to hear that yours makes a similar noise. I will wait for the sound to get worse (if it ever does) and I’ll take it to the SEAT garage up the road to get it looked at and feedback what it was but it certainly sounds like the serpentine belt it’s just a question of whether that’s normal… 😬😂

Best of luck! I look forward to hearing if it’s still going okay in the near/distant future!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members