Running Costs of a 20VT versus a Cupra R

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
Hi folks

Tried a search but couldn't find this info (maybe my crappy search terms ! :whistle: )

Would you mind giving me an idea of how much extra it is to run a Cupra R over a standard Cupra 20VT. Is there much difference in servicing costs, or fuel costs, or tyre costs etc etc.

I'm going to get one of the two eventually and just wondered whether it was worth saving the extra I would need for the Cupra R......

Ta

CK

Deleted member 7729

I'm interested in this too as I'm looking at moving to the R possibly. But prob head to VW / Audi instead.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
As far as I know servicing and the majority of parts are going to be the same or very similar in price. Certainly nothing worth worrying about between them for the vast majority of things you'll need to think about.

The only real extra expenses over the Cupra are tyres (bigger size, slightly quicker wear), brakes (pads and discs are more expensive) fuel and insurance, obviously.

That aside there wont be much in it. Even fuel wont be a night and day difference, although it is something to bear in mind.

But you need to think about your future plans for the car... are you interested in making it go faster or handle better or putting bigger wheels on it? If so, go straight for the LCR as it has all of this as standard. And if you buy the Cupra and modify it, you'll end up paying more for insurance than you would on a standard LCR. Plus you'll end up spending money on the Cupra trying to get it to a similar standard to the LCR.

My advice... get the LCR, remap it and make the most of Greenlights insurance offer where they will cover remaps for no extra cost on new insurance policies.

andycupra

status subject to change
i agree with RobM.

the difference in fuel is negligable, unless you drive like a hoon.

the tyres will be 18" rather than 17" so expect top pay more for them. probably another £20 per tyre at a guess...

brakes cost more as the disks are bigger, the pads are also not cheap as they are brembos. (front pads are £90ish for example)
however you can save a fair bit avoiding a dealer / doing it yourself. some great info on here and a guide by ruddmeister for changing the disks / pads on a LCR.

insurance will be more but not massively.

in terms of running costs id say its pretty negligable compared to the extra you will pay for a LCR over a cupra.

if your planning mods then the LCR is the on you want.

oh and cost on for a new front spoiler on the LCR every 18 months or so... bu they are only £20 or so...)

Deleted member 7729

Hence why I want to change the the LCR.

TT, S3, MK5 Gti, R32 are all on the list, but more expensive

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
This is why I love the LCR. It's so hard to find another car that offers everything it does, for the running costs and the low initial purchase price. Anything else in the same league, performance wise, costs more initially to get the same age, mileage and condition! The only car that comes close is the Civic Type-R IMO.... but I like torque and overtaking so I left that option well alone.

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
Ive been looking at the same situation too, Cupra or Cupra R. Im now looking for an R because as everyone has said the differences are not that massive and the value and performance of the car compared to most other hot hatches seems pretty good. - and it looks great! :D

Insurance quotes for me have been around 100ish more on the R over the Cupra.

It may also depend on the kind of mileage you will be doing, if over huge amounts it may be too costly.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
think in terms of fuel costs-same
servicing costs-same
road tax-5 quid difference
insurance-not alot depending on who your insured with

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
The biggest difference really is the extra cost of buying the Cupra R over the Cupra.

A Cupra on an 04 plate with about 20,000 miles is about £11k
A Cupra R on a 04 plate with about 20,000 miles is about £13k
(both prices from seat dealers)

So it depends if you think the extra £2k is worth it, or you can afford it

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
You can get that age of LCR for cheaper than £13k!

Check this one out: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108413

That's a year newer with half the miles you talk about, for £13750
I personally paid £10200 for an 03 LCR with 33k miles. A year younger isn't going to cost you £3k more!

But what are you getting for that money, whatever the price increase is...

Bigger alloy wheels
Bigger Brembo brakes
Lower and uprated suspension
More aggressive and unique body styling
Nice looking and sounding exhaust
And most importantly.... More POWER and TORQUE

Then you have the tuning options, like the fact that 260+bhp is only a few hundred pound away for instance. It just seems like a much more sensible option IMO now the prices are coming down.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
You can get that age of LCR for cheaper than £13k!

Check this one out: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108413

That's a year newer with half the miles you talk about, for £13750
I personally paid £10200 for an 03 LCR with 33k miles. A year younger isn't going to cost you £3k more!

But what are you getting for that money, whatever the price increase is...

Bigger alloy wheels
Bigger Brembo brakes
Lower and uprated suspension
More aggressive and unique body styling
Nice looking and sounding exhaust
And most importantly.... More POWER and TORQUE

Then you have the tuning options, like the fact that 260+bhp is only a few hundred pound away for instance. It just seems like a much more sensible option IMO now the prices are coming down.

The prices I quoted were both dealer prices, if you brought a LC privately it would also be cheaper. The difference though is still about £2k which is a lot of money for not that much. Both are good cars, but personaly I couldn't justify the extra £2k.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
How can you say it's not that much? If you're not interested in looks, performance or braking then yeah, fair play the differences wont mean that much. But if that's the case why bother even looking at the Cupra?

If you are interested in these things, then the extra price gives you improvements in every area, which is well worth the extra.

Deleted member 7729

Kings wanted my cupra + 6k for a 53 plate with 40k on the clock.. Err i think that'll be a no

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
You'd be much better offer selling privately or, as I did, finding a LCR at a non-Seat dealer as they often go for a better price. Mine came from Inchape Renault and I got full warranty with it that let's me have work done at JKM :D (or any other VAT registered garage)

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
I mean it not much of a difference for £2k.

The alloys are only slightly bigger 17" compared 18", brakes are only slightly better. The ride hight is the same (they both have lowered supension). The LCR has slightly harder supension, but neither of them handle that well, so really they both could do with an aftermarket kit.

Personally I prefer the looks of the LC over the LCR, as they haven't used the honey combo grill on all of the front so it doesn't match. Its not really more unique as only the LC has the LC kit and the LCR has the LCR kit. So how is that more unique?

In day to day driving the power differences aren't really big, especially for an extra 2k.

The reason I brought the LC is that I enjoy having a quick car, but couldn't justify an extra £2k for just a few small improvements.

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
Ok

I'll be looking for an LCR then when I have the cash. Insurance is £15 difference (£340 versus £325) with More Than (looking at confused.com).

What do you reckon i could get for around 9K in March/April?

Last edited:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
There are a few LCRs in the For Sale forum now for that sort of price, so in a couple of months time you should be laughing. You should be able to pick up a reasonable mileage 03 plate for that price :D

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
I'm 34 with 7 years no claims..... <----- old

I've done crappy sensible cars and want a fast one now......... :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.