Rev counter issue

shibadybob

Hi Guys I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out,

After overheating on xmas day and getting stuck on the M23 due to the fan fuse melting into the bloody fuse holder I decided to spend some time fixing all the little niggles my Ibiza 1.6 sport mk3 has.

My main issue is the rev counter has never worked apart from on two occassions when it jumped into life pinging up and down irratically just as the car lost power and cut out. Then when trying to restart it would run with throttle but like it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders and would cut out if left to idle. Disconnecting the battery and leaving the ecu to reset solved the problem both times. Only codes I get on vag com are:

Control Module Part Number: 6K0 920 901 G
Component and/or Version: 6K-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V02
Software Coding: 00446
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
Additional Info: IMMO-IDENTNR: SEZ7Z0Y0552359
1 Fault Found:
01039 - Coolant Temperature Sensor (G2)
30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent

-----------------------------------------------------------

Control Module Part Number: 6K0 906 019
Component and/or Version: 1.6l R4/2V SIMOS HSS073
Software Coding: 10001
Work Shop Code: WSC 06402
1 Fault Found:
00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30
36-00 - Open Circuit

I will be replacing temp sensor for the new green type so that should sort the instrument fault.

Any ideas on the rev counter/poor running issue and the open circuit, am about to go out and strip down battery fuse holder to check connections.

thanks in advance
Phil

shibadybob

How would that affect the rev counter?

I will check those blocks tomorrow, will also check engine speed on the ecu.

any ideas are greatly welcomed, starting to run out of ideas here!

thanks
Phil

shibadybob

I totally agree with you there and will check it over again today. Although the last time I had problems was over a year ago, at which time I stripped the ecu down to check for water and found nothing major so just cleaned everything up.

Do you think the rev counter could just be an instrument fault or connection if the engine speed logged in the ecu is present and correct? Would that not flag a code on the instruments?

thanks for your help so far
Phil

shibadybob

No I mean tachometer is not working needle is stationary.

Phil

shibadybob

The needle did move when problem arised with poor running and cutting out but moved very irratically. Hence my thinking that there is a bad connection somewhere.

Do you know if the rev counter picks up from the coil or crank sensor?

Sorry if I was not clear in original post,
thanks
Phil

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I reckon your rev counter has a dodgy conection and the vibration from the poor running made it work for a bit. Try reseating the big multi plugs on the back of the instrument cluster. (make sure you disconect the battery first) as you could loose the key codes.

shibadybob

I do think it is a connection/wiring issue but I think the rev counter coming to life was something more sinister than the vibration. I guess I'm gonna have to get the mutimeter out and start checking from the instrument panel :cry:

thanks for the heads up though
Phil

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise