Resonated OR non resonated on Cupra - That is the question?

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
Thinkin' of going for TBE for the K1 question bein' at 36 years of age am I suitable for a non res exhaust system?

Am I too old for one of these?
Will it attract loads of attention?
Will it sound like my exhaust is fecked?
Will I regret it later?
How loud are these things?

Any helpful comments would be appreciated!:D

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Yes
No
No
Maybe
See someone elsae who has one.

I originially had a resonated, but then moved tot he non resonated, but im young :)

I do wish I had stuck with the tresonated sometimes, but not othertimes. It can get slightly annoying on the motorway, but its really up to you.

Petrol-Head-Pete

cupra k1 emocion red 58
Jul 13, 2008
Hayling Island near Portsmouth
that is a good question mate

im 23 and obviously i want my car to generate a bit of attention thats why i went for a car with black wheels and a bodykit.

i am thinking of getting a miltek system but i dont know if i want to have a really noisy car especially as i have a 2 month old baby and loud exhausts make your ears ring when travelling at high speeds i.e motorway driving

ive thought definately no to non-resonated, but im not even sure how loud a resonated system would be and i guess the only way i will find out if £500 pounds later and its too late by then.

my first mod will be a forge spacer. i have a turbo and i dont care who hears it or how loud it is. then prob get a mfd3, my car is on finance so modding it too much might be a big gamble especially if i decide to get rid of it. would love to take it to 300bhp tho maybe one day.

i would say it depends how much you have to spend, what you are hoping to achieve by getting a new exhaust and who will be in the car with you most of the time.

hope this helps

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
resonated 2. non resonated 5-6.

really best to see for yourself. Im in London if your local.

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Am I too old for one of these? No?
Will it attract loads of attention? On boost probably :p
Will it sound like my exhaust is fecked? No
Will I regret it later? Maybe
How loud are these things? Nice burble on tickover, cruising speed not too intrusive. Giving it stick sounds awesome from outside.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated!

As above best thing is to try and hear one / experience one before you spend your hard earned

Al

Aug 29, 2005
In Dan style, and as a 33 year old myself with a Milltek TBE with non resonated centre section, here would be my answers :D

Am I too old for one of these? No (I know a 50 year old who is about to do his S3 lol)

Will it attract loads of attention? No - It would only do that if you drive like a tit in the town

Will I regret it later? No

How loud are these things? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amLShhMf2A . It is a nice burble on tick over, crisp when climbing the revs and on full chat, it sounds awesome and not at all chavvy.

A few people on here have seen/heard mine and there has not been one negative comment yet :). Also it is not loud or annoying on a run, but then it is a Milltek.

Last edited:

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Milltek advise to go for resonated if you are unsure. If it too quiet for you you can swap out the res section for non res. The cost is about £90 fitted.

As per DJs comments the res isn't too loud it just boomy when cruising motoway speed, apparently this is caused largely by the dowpipe section. All this talk is hugely subjective though as said you need to try and get a spin in one first.

One other comment though is that if you just go for cat back (resonated) there is absolutely no difference in sound (as I have found out), but this is not the same if you have res TBE as the downpipe contributes to the sound. I remember reading about a thread on tyresmoke in the golf GTI section when researching this and a user claims there were four different sounds listed below (starting with quieter first):

1. Cat back (res)
2. Cat back (non res)
3. TBE (res)
4. TBC (non res)

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
Anyone have experience of Blueflame? I remember a GB (Addo&Mike) with the mk1's that didn't go so well ie people weren't happy after about six months due to quality issues. It's just they are quoting approx £750 for full 3" tbe (200cell) in whatever config you want ie res or non.

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
In Dan style, and as a 33 year old myself with a Milltek TBE with non resonated centre section, here would be my answers :D

Am I too old for one of these? No (I know a 50 year old who is about to do his S3 lol)

Will it attract loads of attention? No - It would only do that if you drive like a tit in the town

Will I regret it later? No

How loud are these things? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amLShhMf2A . It is a nice burble on tick over, crisp when climbing the revs and on full chat, it sounds awesome and not at all chavvy.

A few people on here have seen/heard mine and there has not been one negative comment yet :). Also it is not loud or annoying on a run, but then it is a Milltek.

Cheers Al, seems like you've given me the answers I really wanted;)

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Cheers Al, seems like you've given me the answers I really wanted;)

Its called selective perception mate ;). You knew the anwers you wanted to hear and I gave them to you :D

By the way, contrary to peoples opinions above, I dont find mine drony or loud on a run at all to be honest.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Its called selective perception mate ;). You knew the anwers you wanted to hear and I gave them to you :D

By the way, contrary to peoples opinions above, I dont find mine drony or loud on a run at all to be honest.

Thats why I called the whole sound issue subjective !!

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I like a tuneful exhaust, but there are times when the extra drone on a long motorway journey can be tiresome and painful [particulalry if you have a) a wife as she will moan, b) pasengers who will have to talk louder at you].

In a perfect world I've have a system with a valve in it which wailed like a banshee when the taps were on full, and the rest of the time just purred like a kitten, but then I am old.

So for me it would have to be resonated.

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
Well as I won't be doing long motorway journeys in my K1 I reckon the non resonated is gonna get my vote.. What would be next on the essential mod list??

1. revo stage1
2. non resonated turbo back exhaust
3.?
4.?
5.?

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
no point in a stage 1 map if you intend getting an exhaust and fuel pump straight after.
hang on and get a map which will take advantage of those mods.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.