removal of front seats with airbags

agentuk

I have just fixed my leaky Leon using the DIY guide posted by andy_tech, thread title: Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide, which was most useful. Now I have to try and dry out the soggy underlay under the carpet. I have done this before but when I took out the front seats I had to disconnect the airbag cable that goes to the seat airbags. This of course meant that the airbag system deactivated and the airbag warning light came on. This then had to be reset by my garage.

I have looked through the forums to see if there is a way around this and as far as I can tell all you have to do is disconnect the battery before you disconnect the seat airbag cable. Can anyone confirm that this is what I have to do for my 03 Leon S 1.6? Also is there a maximum amount of time that the battery can be left disconnected without problems arising with, for example, the immobiliser?

Any knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.
Agent UK.

agentuk

Cheers. Good to have this confirmed before I have the seats out. :)

agentuk

Nice set of instructions.

As I have to have the battery disconnected for a long period of time (few days) as the car dries out, is there any problem with leaving the battery disconnected?

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I can't see a problem, as long as it's in a locked garage... obviously your immobiliser won't activate. While it's drying out you'll probably have the windows / doors open, so I guess it'll be in a locked garage anyway :)

agentuk

Unfortunately a garage is some years off :( so it will be the slow dry in the street out the front of the house. I guess that the immobilliser not being active will not be so much of a problem if the seats are not in the car, kind of difficult to drive. I was more worried about the immobiliser and chip in the key still being in sync, read something about that in the manual...

Right I think I am ready to finally get the car dry. [B)]

Marconi

I finally sorted Juniors 2002 toledo with the airbag light fault.
Turned out it was the crash sensor, passenger side, £150 thank you.

I had all the interior out due to leaks, thanks to this forum for how to fix, and the reset tool kept telling me it was an earth fault. It wasn't.

The sensor should have read 230K on a fluke meter, but read 170K
swapped the sensors, swapped the fault side.

QED

Got a new sensor and reset just fine.

Now all the airbags are active.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asha

Jun 3, 2013
Redditch
Sorry to bring up an old thread but it says at the start of the guide "Make a note of your radio code and disconnect the battery." My question is how do you find your radio code out in the first place?

foxes

Feb 7, 2005
Bang In The Middle.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but it says at the start of the guide "Make a note of your radio code and disconnect the battery." My question is how do you find your radio code out in the first place?

Will be inside your SEAT owners handbook, together with your engine code ect.
It's a Four digit code
HTH

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.