Reasons For No Fuel Flow. Please Help!

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
Hey. I had a problem a couple of weeks back with my car, (TDI) not starting. I initially thought it was some dodgy fuel, but have changed my mind on this.

Basically, i went to start my car one day and it wouldn't start. It turns over but doesn't fire up. I thought the battery might be flat so i tried jump starting it. Didn't work so i tried a known good battery, but again she wouldn't fire up.

I've checked under the bonnet and there isn't any fuel coming through the injector. So... What are some possible reasons for no fuel flow? (Tried bleeding the system but it didn't work.)

Forgive me for being dumb, but if the starter motor's packed up will there be any fuel flow?
Also, if the glow plugs have gone, that shouldn't effect the actual flow of fuel, should it?

Lastly, does anyone have any ideas what the fault might be? One day the car worked fine, the next it wouldn't start. Can the immob go without warning? Can the glow plugs go without warning? One more quick question, if the immob has gone, will it still allow pre heating? Because the car still pre heats...

Many, many thanks in advance to everyone who can shed some light on the very dark matter!!

EDITED TO ADD: I've tried running a scan on the engine but my scanner is rubbish to be honest with you. My fuel gauge has gone but my scanner doesn't pick this up. Vag Com will won't it? The scanner picks up some faults, but not all of them. My MAF went on my Toledo but my scanner didn't pick it up. M0rk hooked it up to Vag Com and it found the fault. :confused:

Last edited:

G223

Dec 6, 2007
alright mate, i dont know exactly whats wrong but i can tell you that it isnt your glow plugs or your starter motor, my car has driven for past 3 months with only 1 glow plug working and it started after some persuasion, all you can do is check the diesel filter isnt blocked, there should be a drainer on the bottom like a big hand screw turn it and water should come out then diesel after a second of two, after that i dont know mate, im on the older diesels with no electrics so the engine would run if everyhting failed aslong as it wasant critacal, sorry, hope thats some use

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
Just thought i'd update this thread incase anyone has the same problem in the future.

It was the engine speed signal sensor - also known as the crank position sensor. I'm going to remove it tomorrow and give it a good clean and try again. I'll keep you posted.

A big thanks to M0rk for finding the fault. :D :clap:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members