rear disk brake prob

Jun 24, 2007
durham
one of my brakes on my fr seams to be grinding / rubbing it has done 20000 miles and had a service before i bought it so should not be the pads . it has been in for the prob to seat and they said they cleaned them but the prob is still there . you can not hear it with the window up but with it down it is a very slight grinding does any 1 no what it could be or had the same prob

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Are they binding? Or is when you apply the brakes?

Are the discs scored? The way the brakes are balanced the rears don't contribute much to the total braking. Try applying the handbrake slightly on part throttle and see if it cleans then up if they are suffering from under-use and are a bit rusty on the edges.

andycupra

status subject to change
just beacuse it had a service before you picked it up doesnt mean its definately not the pads.
however as its been looked at i agree its not going to be them.
are you sure if the brakes and not say a wheel bearing?
as asked above does the sound change when applying / not applying the brakes?

Jun 24, 2007
durham
it is only when aplying and releasing the brakes . what do you meen by scored . they shouldnt be under used as i drive the car quite hard most of the time

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Scored means there is a groove cut out, maybe if something has got stuck between the pad and the disc. Can tell by looking through the wheel for one side, from under the car the other side. Or take the wheel off if you think you know which side it might be.

If the whole disc looks clean (which it probably will be if you drive the car quite hard), then it's not likely to be due to under use.

Jun 24, 2007
durham
seat are frigin useless took my car to get brakes sorted again today got the phone call all done when i went to pick it up was told the arches had to be modified as the tyres were rubbing this is with standard tyres and alloys . drove the car out the garage still grinding so turned roand and put it straight back in spoke to the machanic and showed him exaxtly what was wrong . he said the disks neaded cleaning and greasing and would take 30 mins so waited for the car and it seams to have cured the problem . I cant understand why the rear brakes would need stripping down and cleaning twive in two weeks . thought i would never find any one crapper the citreon but i think i have .

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
I assuming by greasing, this is copper grease on the shims behind the pad. Hope they didn't grease the disc! :help:

So has it cured the rubbing? Or is it the tyres that are the problem?

Jun 24, 2007
durham
tyres were never a prob it seams to have stopped it they didnt grease the disc althought i wouldnt of put it past them

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.