• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Rear Breaks on 02 LCR

olly_ed0088

Hey,

I have done a few searches and cant really find my answer. So sorry if it seams like I am re-posting.

I have a 02 LCR and its REAR break pads are now just metal, like wise the disc is shot. I have New rear discs and red stuff pads. Reading the paper that come with the pads it talks about replacing the "Split Pins/Retaining Pins" What the hell are they!? Are they the spring things that come already on the pads? I am confused.

Also a little hint as where to start when removing the rear Calipers would not go a miss! :) I have replaced the fount pads a few time and the discs once but have never changed the rears.

Thanks for your time.

Ta
Olly

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
they won't have pins in the rear.when i did my golf which are the same i disconnected the handbrake cables 1st.just pull them at the rear with a pair of pliers and twist them out of the lever on the caliper undo the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on lift the caliper out of the way.now you have to wind the piston back in unlike the fronts.turn the piston clockwise to wind it in.when you put it all back together remember to pump the brakes up before using the handbrake as this adjusts itself automatically

olly_ed0088

Cheers for that very speedy reply! I am going to have a crack at them tonight in a mates hanger........ cheers.

olly_ed0088

Hey,

I managed to get the back discs and pads on last night. I had problems with the piston, it was a sod to get back in even after opening the bleed valve. Brute force and ignorance sorted that one out.

However I have a problem now. The foot pedal goes down about twice as far as it did before. The hand break is nice and tight now as I would expect it to be with new, thick pads on so the calipers and pads are doing there job fine. I have sealed up the break fluid container in the bonnet and pressed the break pedal many times so that the break fluid pressure is up but still the pedal goes down to far.

There seams to be two levels of breaking. The initial pressure as you would expect then that fades until about twice as far down when the breaks respond as you would expect. I unscrewed the back left bleed valve to much and it fell off at one point, would this off allowed air to get in so that my problem is an air block? I am confident I did the bleed valves up tightly and I am not loosing any fluid, looking under the bonnet the level is the same and can’t see any leaks from the caliper.

I might take it down to quick fit and get them to change the fluid if that is what you guys recon it might be. Can’t be bothered to mess around in the rain and mud for the sake of about £30.

I took some photos and will do my best at writing some instructions for the rear discs and pads on a LCR 02.

Ta
Olly

Last edited by a moderator:

olly_ed0088

Suppose I will have to wait until the lunch time rush :)

Ta

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
olly_ed0088 said:
Hey,

I managed to get the back discs and pads on last night. I had problems with the piston, it was a sod to get back in even after opening the bleed valve. Brute force and ignorance sorted that one out.

Did you screw in the piston as it was pushed back?
If not, you could have damaged the self-adjusting mechanism.

olly_ed0088

Yeah I definatly screwed it back-in. When the hand break is fully applied the car is sollid and going no where which (tell me if I have got it wrong) tells me that the discs and pads are fine the break point is bettween the foot peadal and the breaks. Likleu to be the fluid?

Cheers for your help.....

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
olly_ed0088 said:
Yeah I definatly screwed it back-in. When the hand break is fully applied the car is sollid and going no where which (tell me if I have got it wrong) tells me that the discs and pads are fine the break point is bettween the foot peadal and the breaks. Likleu to be the fluid?

Cheers for your help.....
There is a special tool for that mate! Halfords sell i think makes screwing them in a dodle! :)

olly_ed0088

Cheers for you help peeps, I had the break fluid changed today and now they are 100% perfect! I forgot what good breaks feel like for a moment there! :) I am only using DOT 4 at the moment but will get that upgraded when it comes to my next service in a month or so.

Ta
Olly

Lecatona HPFP (High-pressure Fuel Pump Upgrades)