Rapid tuning box, not impressed

barryg

Mar 23, 2004
Dublin Ireland
www.barrygraham.ie
Hi
Got it fitted today, i have covered about 80 miles since. It is very smokey at times and i dont notice much difference in power. It is more responsive yes but i dont feel confident about it. I paid 550 euro for it in an authorised Rapid dealer. Should i go back and throw it at him tomorrow?????? I feel i should. I have nervous feelings about things going bad under the bonnet if i keep it. I dont like all the smoke either looks like a tractor. Do you guys thing i will get my money back?

barryg

Mar 23, 2004
Dublin Ireland
www.barrygraham.ie
does revo just add more fuel like the tuning boxes or does it adjust boost pressure too, i dont like the sound of lashing fuel at it. has anybody got a fr 150 running a tuning box like mine? If so what are your experiences? very interested to find out.

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
Revo increases boost too but it'll still smoke a bit more under hard acceleration.
Tuning boxes tend to just increase fuel by fooling the ECU into thinking it's cold. Get your yoyos back and get a proper remap and have piece of mind :D

barryg

Mar 23, 2004
Dublin Ireland
www.barrygraham.ie
Johnsey said:
Revo increases boost too but it'll still smoke a bit more under hard acceleration.
Tuning boxes tend to just increase fuel by fooling the ECU into thinking it's cold. Get your yoyos back and get a proper remap and have piece of mind :D

Iv just been out on the road messing with it . It can be switched on and off. did some runs with it on and off. Hard to tell wheather its on or off, (without looking for the smoke in the rear view mirror) more responsive thats about it. What will i say when i bring it back?? Think i might take it out now my self and hand it to him tomorrow. If i go there with it fitted he will try to change the settings and fob me off.

barryg

Mar 23, 2004
Dublin Ireland
www.barrygraham.ie
Johnsey said:
Was it sold promising X, Y & Z and did it deliever them? If not, then surely you're entitled to your money back

i had my 1.8t 20v revod and was very impressed with results, i was expecting the same with this.
I think i will take it out and tell him i was not happy with all the smoke and low performance.
He did say when i was buying it that i should drive it for a week and come back and he could adjust the settings to what i perferred.
Honestly i just dont like the idea of fooling anything in the ecu just doesnt seem right boud to cause problems.

Asterix

...all this remapping can't be that difficult...there must be blokes with nouse and laptops able to remap at will?

[so go and do it, I hear you cry:D ]

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
I had a tuning box before a remap. It pulled harder between 2 and 3k rpm and died off after 3k. It smoked also and when i took it off i hardly noticed the difference in power. Then when i got revo it was a different experience.

barryg

Mar 23, 2004
Dublin Ireland
www.barrygraham.ie
micky 32 said:
I had a tuning box before a remap. It pulled harder between 2 and 3k rpm and died off after 3k. It smoked also and when i took it off i hardly noticed the difference in power. Then when i got revo it was a different experience.

thats exactly what my tuning box did.
hoping for much better results from revo,
:D

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
There's other tuners as well as Revo...

Custom Code, Upsolute, Jabba....etc

Personally I'm well happy with my Upsolute map, and it cost under £300 too :)

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
barryg said:
Hi
Got it fitted today, i have covered about 80 miles since. It is very smokey at times and i dont notice much difference in power. It is more responsive yes but i dont feel confident about it. I paid 550 euro for it in an authorised Rapid dealer. Should i go back and throw it at him tomorrow?????? I feel i should. I have nervous feelings about things going bad under the bonnet if i keep it. I dont like all the smoke either looks like a tractor. Do you guys thing i will get my money back?

Hi

Drop me an e-mail, I can re-map your car to run very well, or your money back.

A good re-map will alter much more than just fuelling.

Best Regards

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
P-torque.co.uk said:
Hi

Drop me an e-mail, I can re-map your car to run very well, or your money back.

A good re-map will alter much more than just fuelling.

Best Regards

sorry for hjacking the tread

just out of intresest do you map the 20vt ibiza mk4 FR??? if so what bhp do you reckon i can get with the mods below??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members