Random stutter at start up when cold

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
Ok so here the issue.... for the last year or so ive had a random stutter at start up from cold.... its seems to do it for a few weeks then go away for several!

1, it only does it form cold ( e.g left over night)
2, to those who remember the manual choke (!) it feels like its either not getting enough or getting too much fuel. Starts runs for second or two then stutters almost to stall then picks up runs stutters again... sometimes stalls.
3, It also only happens during that inital 30 seconds or so when the engine runs much faster than normal. ( is thre turbo running hat this point as it seems to sound like it and then a big release as it settles back down to lower revs - 1200...approx ( once warmed it settles to about 720rpm.
4, Once this stage is gone it runs absolutely fine.
5, If you give it a bit of extra revs when its first started you can normall 'hold off' the stutter. Drive off and it will pull and cut and jump for a bit.
6, fuel filter, air filter plugs etc all been changed and no change!
7, coolant sensor is new
8, ignition coils are new
9, no codes coming up on vag when it does it .... but every so often i get the 17511 17535 codes. not alot maybe once in while
10, Normal driving is totally ok. Not hesitation etc smooth as my bum!
11, Had the pre cat o2 sensor changed as well

So reading all the posts about mafs etc..... could this be a fault maf even though no code? The car has done 108K but had a new one at 42k
could this be a boost leak..... but surely this would show on VAG when i test it after it has happened? I have had a look as be i can around the pipes and a good 'feel' but nothing seems to show... then again as it only happens during that short period its hard to check them all in that time and if there isa leak i cant feel it!

I'm happy to change the maf if there is a good chance its that as to be honest its done 70K and by what i see they dont last that long in alot of cases, but no point in spending money for the sake of it!
Oh yeah if i disconnect the maf while running it doesnt really make much difference, slight change at point of reconnection, but thats it. Is that normal?!

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
some where i read about the amount of air that should be going in as well.. a certain amount grams per something at 6k revs etc.... just need to find it now as my readings were about 120g at 5k with foot down in 5th and 144g at 6k foot down in 5th
All speeds were permissiable obviously!

Just found some details and it says divide by 0.8 and it will give you your horsepower... so at 5k im getting 150 and at 6k im getting 180.... Im sure that the peak output is not at 6k is it? Also the car is 10 years old, 108k on the clock... wouldnt expect spot on bhp! saying that its running on lpg and she loves it at higher revs...
Ahh.... yes! I have it set up so that at high power it now only runs on lpg but enriches with a bit of petrol... could account for the high end figure? but if thats true the 5k figure is pants!
Just checked the log for 6k without the lpg running and it was 140, so thats 175bhp...

Last edited:

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
Well im going to start mine up this moring with Vag running and see if it picks up anything then.... will be interesting to see what the readings do when it stutters, air volume drop etc etc.

leon james

Meguiars is my freind
Mar 19, 2008
southampton
hi guy i had this problem with mine and sevrel times i had the engine light come on, when put on vag it sead short to earth on injectrs 1 and 3 so we looked at the band wave and it was fine how it should look so i left it. two months down the line i had coil pack 1 go so replaced it but still had a rumbel but less just befor i came away on holiday i changed coil pack 3 and that has seemed to fix all my problems. for some reasion my coil packs dint give up fully and kept working but not well. i hope this helps.

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
Must admit coil packs did cross my mind, but mine are all new now and no difference. Started the car up this morning with vag.com runnong to try and see what happeneds when it stutterd..... Bloody thing ran like a dream! will keep trying.... Still no codes showing, well except this o2 senor heating output which is intermittant... Had new sensors but been told it must be in the wiring loom to ecu and as its very intermittant not to bother with it. Doesnt come up at same time as stutter either.

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
its ur throttle body not ur maf if it was ur maf it wud b hestitate wen u driving, typically around 2500-3000 rpm, clean ur throttle body shud cure ur cold morning stutters , had the same problem on my cupra

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
I know this is an old thread now but forgot to post my solution!
It turned out to be caused by a faulty battery!!!!
Battery kept going flat if left for 3 days or so took it back to supplier who tested it and said that it was fault with 2 cells shorting out. Put in new battery and bingo.... not a dicky bird since!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.