RamAir FIlters

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
iv just brought off ebay a universal Ramair Foam filter which i was going to try on my FR 1.8 20vt. iv got a Dynatwist already which i am in the process of fitting, but im going to see what the ramair filters are like with a heatshield around it. Has anyone fitted a ram air filter to the 20vt engine? if so what are they like

any comments would be appreciated

cupra-c_ya

I love da boost!
Oct 4, 2004
devon
img124.imageshack.us
Got a ram air maxflow fitted similar to the dynatwist, sounds pretty good with a nice growl when you put your foot down and added dump valve noise, sounds abit like 'darth vader' breathing but i like it.
not to intrusive and you really only hear it when you put your foot down.
hope this helps
:confused:

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
cupra-c_ya said:
Got a ram air maxflow fitted similar to the dynatwist, sounds pretty good with a nice growl when you put your foot down and added dump valve noise, sounds abit like 'darth vader' breathing but i like it.
not to intrusive and you really only hear it when you put your foot down.
hope this helps
:confused:

Yeah thanks mate, the one iv brought is just a open foam filter, but im goin to put a heatshield around it and a cold air feed so hopefully it should work pretty much the same as the maxiflow system.

does anyone know if theres much difference in noise between the Ramair and the dynatwist??

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
evo2345 said:
Yeah thanks mate, the one iv brought is just a open foam filter, but im goin to put a heatshield around it and a cold air feed so hopefully it should work pretty much the same as the maxiflow system.

does anyone know if theres much difference in noise between the Ramair and the dynatwist??

Ram Air maxflow is slightly noisier, open cone should be noisier too

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
Ant FR said:

Thanks for that Ant, im goin to give it a try if dont work and get the same sort of problem as you have expericed, il just chuck it on my Suzuki swift Gti should work fine on that as my K&N looking a bit worse for wear.

Oh yeah Ant Thanks alot for the Dynatwist, it look a great piece of kit, i just aint had chance to fit it yet, hopefully putting it on the weekend all being well. just a quick question the bracket it comes with did you use it on yours, because iv seen a picture of Bunnins engine bay and it doesnt look like hes used it.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
no never used, it, I could'nt work out how it fitted, the fiagram says it fits over the air feed end, but where do you connect it too on the engie bay ??? I dunno.

May be Bunnin can answer that, Glad it turned up safe ad sound, oh i'll pay the cheque in today, ( not like me to forget money) I would have auto soled that cover but ran out of time, and yu woul dhav had to wait till 2007 to receive the filter, soz

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
Ant FR said:
no never used, it, I could'nt work out how it fitted, the fiagram says it fits over the air feed end, but where do you connect it too on the engie bay ??? I dunno.

May be Bunnin can answer that, Glad it turned up safe ad sound, oh i'll pay the cheque in today, ( not like me to forget money) I would have auto soled that cover but ran out of time, and yu woul dhav had to wait till 2007 to receive the filter, soz

No worrys mate, it gave me something to do when i got it. iv had a look at the engine bay and your right i dont know where it would fix to, maybe to the strut bolt but i dont really wana mess about undoing bolts. iv read on another thread tho if the induction kit vibrates alot and it aint secured properly it can knacker up the MAF.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
what i would do is, Drill a hole in the end of the cover and make a bracket up from there, using oneof the bolts or old bushes for the air box. Dunno , failing that ask Bill

Triple D

I didn't use that thing and neither did bunnin. anyway i lost it in the engine when i fitted it and then it fell out onto the road when i took it out for a blast. mines fine though without it so no harm done.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
spaniels fr said:
I didn't use that thing and neither did bunnin. anyway i lost it in the engine when i fitted it and then it fell out onto the road when i took it out for a blast. mines fine though without it so no harm done.

Oh My gosh, you norhtern boys really are bodge it badger are'nt ya.

" i lost that big metal thing in the engine, think it fell out, or it might even be next to the 2 tonne jack i dropped in ther elast week, Why does my car keep making funny noises, duuuuuuur dribble dribble"

For others reading little tip, if you drop something in the engine bay makesure you find it cos it may do some damage :cartman:

Tut Tut spaniels :whistle:

Triple D

Lol ant, i did see where it went but it wasn't the big metal thing just the bolt and washer off it but couldn't reach it, so left it, but it did scare the **** out of me as it must have bounced out and hit underneith. ar well

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
Does anyone no if a open Ram air filter will cause any damage to the MAF. iv noticed its got a Sticky Substance on the filter this wont bugger up my MAF will it??

cupra-c_ya

I love da boost!
Oct 4, 2004
devon
img124.imageshack.us
is it meant to be a open filter? if it is like the ram air maxflow which is a closed cold air filter then it is best to leave in a closed unit.
im sure bill aka badger5 will be able to help with your queries, cheers

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
won't make a difference to it if you run it open or closed. The real difference will come from the heat in the engine bay. Closed systems and the standard air box are designed to keep the air coming into the engine cool for all the obvious reasons. if you run as open air you will obviously be taken in air heated by the engine and this will then lower the performance, especially in the summer.

Although i found running a dynatwist open to air better than closed loop. Although i have no technical proof backed by figures that this is so, just driver feel.

Have you thought about trying a BMC one, my mate has just fitted one to his TB'd 206 and he's very happy with it. i may try one of these next year when i have my turbo done.

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
Have you thought about trying a BMC one, my mate has just fitted one to his TB'd 206 and he's very happy with it. i may try one of these next year when i have my turbo done.[/QUOTE]

I might give it ago next year once iv had my FMIC Fitted, im goin to try the two filters iv got and see what happens. im just worried about buggering up the MAF if i use the Ramair because of the sticky coating its got on it.

cupra-c_ya

I love da boost!
Oct 4, 2004
devon
img124.imageshack.us
your right ant, open filter and heat would not mix. i reckon air filters that are designed to be closed units should stay that way, the heat under the bonnet gets damn hot!
you should of got some figures done for your open dynatwist then that would of proved your driver feel for better gains or not.
evo what ram air filter do you have?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.