Ram air induction kit and MAF problems

freddy_t

Feb 3, 2006
Tried ordering a ram air induction kit (not maxflow!) from tsr performance and they said it contains oil and will burn out my MAF. I thought these kits were fine with the MAF, can you knowledgable lot shed any light on it for me???
thanks fred.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Bill would be the best to speak to about the Ram AIr, as he's a supplier, his user name is ibizacupra and he has a section on here, under Badger5 motorsport.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
freddy_t said:
Tried ordering a ram air induction kit (not maxflow!) from tsr performance and they said it contains oil and will burn out my MAF. I thought these kits were fine with the MAF, can you knowledgable lot shed any light on it for me???
thanks fred.

crok of sh1t from TSR I'm afraid. (over oiled filters... as in OIL, K&N, Green, Jetex, etc can lead to contamination. As supplied however, speaking for Green filters, they do not over oil them, but customers potentially could when they clean them)

RamAir is not oil coated, its polymer coated which is sticky as feck. Nothing comes out of the filter once coated. MrsB 1.8T Lupo runs one for 15months no problem.

Vibration from mounting however.. for ANY induction kit, is more to think about and do as much isolation as possible to protect the MAF

MAF's fail all the time on totally std cars. Cr4p sensor from Bosch.

Oil contamination, where there is some is usually from the cars breather system which vents just down stream from the MAF, and the DV blows the oily residue about over the MAF. Upstream of the MAF it will be dry, downstream it will be oily. Car design problem, not MAF.

Bill

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
so why havent more people invested in a oil catch tank then, I know it was mentioned on here a while back, bit of bling with a purpose, sounds good to me!

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
davidol said:
so why havent more people invested in a oil catch tank then, I know it was mentioned on here a while back, bit of bling with a purpose, sounds good to me!

Good question.
If they looked in their breather system and induction pipes they might reconsider.

freddy_t

Feb 3, 2006
I cant be arsed 2 let tsr mess me around anymore. where else can I get a ram air induction kit from for my 1.8t ibiza cupra? Badger 5 cant get them... any ideas?? Do any other kits give a good whose with a Bailey DV30?? thanks fred.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
freddy_t said:
I cant be arsed 2 let tsr mess me around anymore. where else can I get a ram air induction kit from for my 1.8t ibiza cupra? Badger 5 cant get them... any ideas?? Do any other kits give a good whose with a Bailey DV30?? thanks fred.

Badger-5 CAN get them :whistle:
None are listed as open filters. Simple as.

You heard this vid?>>> http://badger-5.com/bin/movies/lupo-induction-noise.wmv

Got a RamAir on it. (Maxflow)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
all down to what catch tank and where you want top put it.

mine is bespoke (made by forge) and has integral drain back to sump. I run SEAT Sport sump off LCR race cars.
It replaces the carbon cannister EVAP thingy on the drivers side strut tower.
Mine has no PCV on it either.