Purchased a Leon mk3 - ex taxi

Aug 19, 2024
Hi all,

just purchased a Leon 1.6tdi 63 plate with a whopping 168k miles - it has service history till 110k and i have just serviced it at 168k miles.

bought it from an auction where they didnt mention it was an ex-taxi 🙃however it drives perfectly fine with no noises tbh
My mechanic has said there are no issues with it but he hasnt looked at it in depth.

im just worried it will give me problems in the future - there is no paperwork of any work done however I cant see it reaching 168k without major work done to it (does anyone agree or disagree with my assumption)

On the one hand, its such high mileage and a taxi car but on the other, it drives perfectly fine so far but i dont know much about seat leons 1.6 (heard they have injector issues) so some knowledge and wisdom on my situation would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Cainy1989

Jan 11, 2019
I mean any car with that kind of millage could have issues, serviced or not. Just make sure you've some spare cash to fall back on should something fail - if anything being a taxi it'll be clutch, starter and possibly the DPF that could be more of an issue

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Buying from an auction with no history is rather rolling the dice!
It should have had a cam belt and aux belt at that age/millage.
Apart from the usual filters/oil/brakes/tyres - for example my 130k mile ST has had front and rear dampers (the rears were knackered at 100k), new battery, gearbox oil, new heater matrix, AC regas, cam/aux belt (think that's it?)
I'm estimating 200k for a new DPF based on my DPF logs/diagnostics.
Been told injectors are usually good for 200k+ doesn't mean they can't fail earlier though!
Turbo and clutch are probably worth while having a pot of money for incase they fail.

ARH

Jul 12, 2024
I would say a taxi will have had any work needed done as It is depended on to earn a living. It will have been serviced on time as well for the same reason. At that sort of mileage a taxi will probably be better looked after than a car used as a runabout.

Reactions: SRGTD