Proud new owner of 02 Cupra R... (with a problem already!)

Adamantium

So at 4:45am I get up and head to Luton airport to catch a flight to Aberdeen...5 hours and 560 miles later I’m finally in Fraisbrugh (40 miles north of Aberdeen) to pick up my black Cupra R!
FSH, 99%mint condition, 29k on the clock - lovely.
10:45am - start the long long drive home...
9:30pm - After 10 hours+ of wonderfully enjoyable faultless driving, I arrive at gf's house to show her new car.
10:00pm - drive home...
10:04pm - pulling out of a junction and the car has suddenly lost all power and judders (misfires?) like a mofo (almost to the point where it stalls!) :cry:
No warning lights, all gauges reading exactly as they have been all day.
I pull over, stop and start engine - no difference... Lumpy idle, sounds like a bag of **** when I rev it (although I didn't rev above 3k as I didn't want to unknowingly do any damage)
I limp home with no power, no boost, and with it threatening to stall every time I have to stop and pull away at a junction.
Acceleration is non-existent and the engine is misfiring continually.

Having done a search for "misfiring" I see (and hope) that it looks like a coilpack has gone (if not all of them?).

Two questions;

1) Deffo a coilpack problem?
2) If so, what's the best (and quickest) way to get some new one's? (as the car is 02 - can I get them replaced under warranty? If so, do I ring local Seat dealer or what?) I have breakdown cover with my insurance... Worth giving them a call?

What a shitty end to a very long and otherwise enjoyable first day of Cupra R ownership [:@]

Thanks in advance.
Adam.

Last edited by a moderator:

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
sound like a coil-pack to me not sure if u will get them replaced at dealer but worth a try
i think a rough price guide they are about £30 - £40 quid
so not to pricey if this turns out to be your problem

dannyk

leon cupra
Oct 3, 2004
Aberdeen
Sounds very like a coil pack, i had one go a month or so ago, got a new one from a VW dealer for £28, also remember that any Audi, VW, Skoda and SEAT dealer will have these if you need it straight away. You can also get them from www.vagparts.com for under £20 but will obviously be delivered therefore take a few days.

Cheers

Danny

Adamantium

If i whip the engine cover off, is there any way to visibly see if the coilpack has gone?

dannyk

leon cupra
Oct 3, 2004
Aberdeen
Adamantium said:
If i whip the engine cover off, is there any way to visibly see if the coilpack has gone?

No, the only thing would be to check is with vag-com, which is a diagnostics tool, if you ask on here there maybe someone in your area who will do a check for you, then you will know which coiil pack has gone if thats the case. If you were still up this way (Aberdeen) i could've done it for you!!!!

Adamantium

dannyk said:
If you were still up this way (Aberdeen) i could've done it for you!!!!

Glad it happened 8 miles from home - rather than 508 miles :blink:

Adamantium

cupra-c_ya said:
was it a private sale? if it was a dealer then I would ask for all of them to be changed under warranty.

It wasn't a dealer.
So no chance to replace under warranty then?

Cupra R 231

May 14, 2005
Lincolnshire
You can do a bit of fault finding...

Engine running - start pulling coil packs off 1 by 1 till you find which cylinder its missing on.. obviously you'll pull it off and instead of it making it loads worse it'll not make any difference wether its on the plug or not.

Once you know which cylinder it is swap that coil pack onto a different cylinder and see if the missfire follows the coilpack.. chances are it will... once you've done that you now know which coilpack is the problem....

I've recently got all mine replaced free of charge from seat and mine is a 51 plate.
As far as I understand it because the coilpacks are so crap they've been given a 5 year warranty...
Although my local dealer knew nothing about this and I had to make them ring seat uk and they confirmed this..

Also if I were you try to cover as few miles as possible or you risk damaging the cat.

cupra-c_ya

I love da boost!
Oct 4, 2004
devon
img124.imageshack.us
just been reading up about this, there has always been a known problem with coil packs but apparently no official recall, the bad coil packs were the H ones so I read.

If you could find someone with vag com they might be able to help you diagnose which coil has gone, if not buy one and it will be a case of testing one, then the next until you find the offending one.

complete barstewards to get off by hand so prise the lip of the coil pack off with a flat bladed screw driver as they are like a vacum in the chambers.

Hope this helps

*edit * or do as cupra R 231 says and try seat dealer for FOC coil pack as you have nothing to lose, remind them about the 5 year warranty, seat u.k blah, blah etc, etc

Last edited:

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
There's a 5 year warranty on coil packs so it should be replaced free of charge.

Cupra R 231

May 14, 2005
Lincolnshire
Only down side is Seat don't always hold much stock so you either wait for them or go round all the vag dealers and buy 1 for the time being....
If you do get them changed foc they should replace all 4 regardless of wether they're dead or not........

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
If you do buy one, go to the seat dealer when you have time and pop the knackered one back in and get them changed and keep the new one as a spare.

Adamantium

Thanks guys.
Will have a dip into the engine bay tomorrow morning and then get down to the local dealer...

Deleted member 5985

I'd just like to say I hate you firstly lol, I went up to buy that car as soon as I saw it on autotrader, got there and it had a for sale sign on it! Maybe best I didn't buy it lol.

Sounds like somethin that should be sorted easily enough. Keep these guys updated tho, they know a lot more than a seat dealer ever will.

edit: wait not 'for sale', sold!

Adamantium

Rick said:
I'd just like to say I hate you firstly lol, I went up to buy that car as soon as I saw it on autotrader

lol - sorry dude, saw it at 8:45am on Autotrader... My deposit was paid by 9:30am [B)]

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Hi mate,

Yea its very common, when you take it down to the dealers they should replace it there and then.

If they dont or make some excuse about not having time (it takes 2 mins), just ask them for the part, or if you buy one from an Audi, Skoda or VW garage keep the receipt and ask for them to cover the cost.

It will take you a few mins to fit, very easy.

Congrats and hope you enjoy the Cupra R ;)

Deleted member 5985

Adamantium said:
lol - sorry dude, saw it at 8:45am on Autotrader... My deposit was paid by 9:30am [B)]

Damn, need to be a bit quicker off the mark next time.

It looked spot on when I got up there, very good condition, bloody bargain price as well eh?

Which day did you buy it on btw?

Hope you get it sorted quickly, get some pics up :)