Problem with FR Pulling to left

nrwilliams

Hello,

Anyone ever had a problem of their FR Or similar model pulling madly to the left under power?

thanks

Neil

nrwilliams

I posted a more detailled description on the problem earlier with no response.

Its not torque steer its only just started doing it. Alignment is perfect, nothing worn out! I am thinking inner CV joints or differential and wondered if anyone else had had a similar problem.

thanks

nrwilliams

Okay, hope someone can help!

2004 Seat Cupra FR TDI.
Remap
Coilovers
TT front brakes
Milltek exhaust etc etc etc

Had coilovers, front wishbones, drop links and new tyres in the last 4000 miles and a full alignment!

Problem has developed since then.

When accelerating hard the car pulls violently to the left. When you release the throttle the pull stops. I have tried driving on the other side of the road and its not a camber problem. Also when coasting the car goes in a perfect straight line and also brakes true.

Its just had its first mot and passed with no problems.

If you go in reverse the car goes to the right. and if you sit with the handbrake on the bring the clutch to biting point the steering wheel starts to go left and in reverse it goes right.

So I am happy that the chassis is setup and true.

I am thinking:

Differential : possibly delivering more drive to one side of the car - but no mechanical noises and no gearbox problems.

Inner CV joint - I have read about inner CV's causing this problem.

Engine mounts - although they seem fine it does develop a lot of torque and could be twisting the engine on the mounts?

Three dealers and tow independents so far have not been much help.

Also tried swapping the tyres and problems still there.

Any ideas greatly appreciated before I spend a weekend pulling my hair out!

LOL

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Did they drop the front sub frame at any point? If this is off to one side by even a small amount it can cause the symptoms you describe. Basically this alters the 'true' Ackerman angle which can cause unwanted/unpredictable results.

nrwilliams

Ah

Do you need to drop the sub frame to change a clutch?

If so the subframe was dropped when the clutch was fitted with the suspension.

But after with work it drove ok for about 2k miles.

Are there any alignment marks for the subframe? How do you get it into the right position?

Thanks! :D

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Well normally you can put it back exactly where it was by using the marks left by the securing nuts...

Another thought, how low have you gone with the coilovers? If one side is higher than the other (bearing in mind its now settled down) then it will drift/pull to one side.

Also if one side is stiffer than the other this can cause the same symptoms. Dont fool yourself into thinking newish coilovers can cause this because they can especially if you have run them quite low (not much piston travel) or at their hardest setting.

I've been through more sets of coilovers than hot dinners by running them very low and hard...

Edit : Yes you drop the subframe for gearbox removal...

nrwilliams

Interesting.

They are running quite hard and it is to low.

I am planning on servicing it at the weekend and was going to raise it 10mm or so.

I had to run them hard to stop the undertray bottoming out on bumpy roads! (I will not be going back to the garage that fitted them).

So that gives me something else to look at!

Check the subframe.
Raise the ride height
Get another wheel alignment.

Be cheaper to get rid LOL

Any suggestions on an ideal ride height? What have other people set theirs up to?

Thanks for your help.

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
The problem with lowering is that the lower you go, the more you reduce the piston travel on the dampers.

I would suggest taking them off, setting them to the softest setting and highest setting and just see if they feel like they are damping evenly...